Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First time in Scotland

Hi,

Im going to Scotland early may for the first time, my route is Edinburgh-Falkirk-Stirling-Balmaha-Inveraray-Islay-Jura-Oban-Fort William-Abelour-Edinburg. I want to see as much as possible of nature and cities, towns, countryside, churches, crosses, architecture and so on...

I will take alot of pictures and want to know the best places thats a must see around my route.

So help me please!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @margareta So many picturesque locations along  your route. I'll name some that I like which googling these locations wont probably show up.

Luss, Arrochar, Loch Fyne Oysters (its scenic and some good food to boot), Machir Bay & Portnahaven (Islay), Staffa (you have to do a day trip from Oban), Glenfinnan (near Ft. William), Glenlivet packhorse bridge, Craigellachie bridge (near Aberlour).
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @margaret, That seems to be a lot to take in for your first time. Are your plans fixed? I would make sure that I stay at least 2 or 3 nights in each location that I can enjoy myself & relax. There is too much to see and too much to do in all of the places that you have mentioned. 
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • KdallostaKdallosta Member
    Going to be in Edinburgh July 27-30. Am a huge fan of Alexander McCall Smith. Love to walk "his route" in Scotland Street books, hang out a bit in the Cumberland Bar. Suggestions, please? Kind regards, Kay
  • margaretamargareta Member ✭✭
    Thanks @fishypro we stay for 3 weeks, and the plan is fixed for or stays in hotel and BnB, in the towns I wrote.
    Thanks for the locations @Horizons I will check them out.
    Hi @margareta, just a few thoughts. A hop on hop off bus maybe a good idea to see most of the sights in a short space of time. Scran & Scallie restaurant is highly recommended. In falkirk you have to visit the Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies. Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument and Bannock Burn. Inverary Castle, Inveraray Jail. In Oban I can highly recommend the Coast Restaurant, stay at Greystones and don't forget to visit McCaigs Tower (great at sunset for photos). Pray for clear weather in Fort William for shots of Ben Nevis. That should keep you going.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Hi, david here. We are coming over September. Flying into Glasgow, going North then back to Edinburgh and fly out of Glasgow. If we want to take our time, not rush, would two weeks be enough?
    Hi @Coffeerocks1, This would all depend on how far North you want to go and what you would like to visit. Can you share a little more information? The Community will be happy to give you suggestions and tips.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Hey David, 2 weeks is a good amount of time to see the highlights of Scotland without any rush. It'll be better for you if you're driving. If the 2 weeks include time in the cities, then it'll be difficult for you to see more than 1 Island (out of Skye, Mull, Orkney, etc).

Do you know what are the things you definitely want to see? We can help planning a time-constrained itinerary around them.

• Good morning.  We were thinking of heading to Oban and possibly the Isle Of Skye. Then on to Inverness and Culloden.  Inveray, Village of Luss, Rosslyn Chapel, just because.... For distilleries, (if possible a couple) Strathisla, Blair Athol. D Almunach, Ardbeg, and Tormore. Strathisla for sure.  
    Castles:  HighClere, Edinburgh, Stirling Palace of Holyrood And dozens of others we will not have time for...one or two is fine.  Edinburgh for sure.  Waling tours: St Giles Cathedral, Royal Mile, Old Town.
    I think we are packing a lot into two weeks.  This needs to be pared down to actual not going like a bat of hell's pace the whole time.  Would like to take time to enjoy Scotland and get to know the country.
    Good evening! Wow, I'll be very honest, this does seem like a lot to pack into 2 weeks. But its not impossible. Pick 5 places to spend 2 nights in each and the rest in Edinburgh. I guess my 5 would be Oban (Luss on the way), Portree (3 nights, Skye is special, Glencoe on the way), Inverness, Aberlour (close to Strathisla in Elgin & in the heart of Speyside) and Stirling.

• Yeah, it is a long list. It is my wife's list of all of Scotland. I was originally thinking 3 weeks but, we are stopping over in Iceland on the way. I appreciate all the help. 
    We only need to take our time and see what is most special about Scotland. We like hiking. Probably spend more time in Edinburgh. I do like the five you presented.
    I forgot, we will be driving. Are there any great places to stay that are not published on line that would be worth our time?
    Hiking on Skye is pretty sweet and the island pretty much gets full for the summer so you need to book that as soon as possible. Instead of giving you offline accommodation tips, I'll instead link you to the VisitScotland accommodation page, AirBnb (you may be already on it but many North American tourists dont even know it exists) & Room Finder Skye (a hidden but super-useful site). Isle of Staffa is also a very unique place in the world that is a day trip from Oban.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ is the bible for hiking in Scotland, you can find hikes for all abilities and areas in Scotland. Make sure you check it out.

Finally, Iceland is pretty epic as well :smile: I was just there 2 weeks back and have written up our experiences & tips on my blog (if interested). Hope you have a trip of a lifetime (it is lining up to be one).

• Thank you. More questions to come.
  • SouthernBelleSouthernBelle Member
    This is our first trip to Scotland. We are going to arrive the middle of April and stay about 10 days. We will be staying in Edinburgh for a couple of days then start heading out to see the rest of the country. We are definitely going to Grantown on Spey, Inverness and Isle of Skye. Any info on any of these towns and others around that would be just as interesting to visit would be greatly appreciated.
    @SouthernBelle your trip is almost here, so exciting!  :) You mention you're in Edinburgh 2 days but don't mention the breakdown for the rest of the trip. Give Isle of Skye atleast 2 nights and ideally 3 nights. It is a huge area to cover chock-full of attractions (Fairy pools, Old man of Storr, Quiraing just to name a few). Checkout the VisitScotland page for Skye.

Grantown-on-Spey & Inverness are actually really close to each other (just a 50 minute drive) so I would highly suggest staying in places that are a bit farther from each other to ensure you're sightseeing a unique area. I visisted Grantown-on-Spey for a few hours to walk about & play disc golf with friends, it is a lovely wee town. The area of Speyside on the east (starting from Tomintoul, should also visit Glenlivet & its packhorse bridge) is very beautiful and there's a lot to do near Aviemore, Kingussie and the Cairngorm mountain area as well.

Let us know if you've booked your stay at Grantown and Inverness. If not, I would highly recommend moving on of these to a different place. We can then furnish more recommendations!

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Hi @margareta, Inveraray is a fascinating wee town and one of my favourites.  The view of Loch Fyne and the surrounding countryside from the top of Dun na Cuaiche is one of Scotland's finest in my opinion.  It a short steep climb but very rewarding. 

Inveraray Castle is a lovely visit too.  Very interesting and if you're lucky the Duke of Campbell may serve you in the castle gift shop. 

I love Inveraray Jail too, it's a fun, interactive experience.

If you have a sweet tooth pop into Sweet Memories the retro sweetie shop on the high street and stock up on some old school sweeties. Their Chelsea Whoppers and Sweetie tobacco are favourites of mine!! Not as dreadful as they sound. 

The George Hotel is a much loved Inveraray institution.  It has a really atmospheric bar with great live music.  The food is excellent too. 

In the region don't miss Kilmartin Glen and Dunadd Hillfort where the ancient kings of Dalriada were inaugurated.  You can see a footprint carved into stone and some rock carvings. 

Islay and Jura are wonderful islands.  If you have time pay the tiny Isle of Gigha a visit.  It's a beautiful little island and The Boathouse does a mean lunch. 

If you check out my Scottish trael blog www.theweewhitedug.com. You'll also find recent posts about Oban and my hometown of Edinburgh. :-)

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Thank you so much for all answers :) Im so trilled to start the adventure.

Im not use to drive in the left side, but I Think I will cope with it :D
  • BordersLassieBordersLassie Member
    Sad so many people start their trips to Scotland in Edinburgh and just go North. So may wonderful places to visit in Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway. Happy to recommend some great places to visit.
    @BordersLassie ; I will go south next time I visit Scotland, this time my husband want to visit some special destillery´s along our way :D I dont drink wiskey so I will enjoy everything around.
    I have found alot of wonderful places in the South as well that I want to see some day.
  • Kia ora, I am posting from New Zealand, my husband was born in Nairn, Scotland.  It's been sometime since he visited "home", and since he has visited the length and breadth of NZ it's time to reciprocate, given that we are both in the twilight of our years, and have time to do.  

His travels around the world are extensive (when he was working and traveling) and mine, limited, so thought I would join up and do some of my "own home work" first about Scotland, and the area of interest of course is Nairn as I have listened to many of his stories before he moved with his parents to UK (years ago)

Our trip is being planned for 2018, and wanted to know about the weather and good time to visit.  He is a keen golfer,  a bit of an historian too.
    I like to head into the village and love markets as well as places of historical significance.  And, No I have never ever been to Scotland so I'm a newbie :) look forward to any support, advice, or anything that will help.   Thank you.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10
    @stalitestabrite My Husband is also from Nairn and we still visit regularly.  There's lots to see and do in the Area.  The Golf View Hotel and the Newton Hotel are both good.  The Classroom does excellent food.  There are 2 golf courses in the town and many others nearby. If you can get your visit to coincide with the Nairn Highlands games in August then you'll have a trip to remember.  The town goes crazy for the games.

Other things to see and do include some dolpin spotting on the Moray Firth.  Cawdor Castle, Fort George, Brodie Castle, Culloden Battlefield, Clava Cairns.  Lochindorb on Dava Moor is definitely worth adding to your list of things to see. It's a small loch with an imposing castle ruin in it.  The list of things to do in and around Nairn is endless.  There are a couple of blogs on my website www.theweewhitedug.com which cover the region.  Let me know if there's anything in particular you need to know and I'll be glad to help. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.