Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Looking to plan a trip to Scotland?

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

If you’re looking to plan a trip to Scotland but don’t know how to get started, then you’re in the right place! Not only is our community a great place for asking questions, reading discussion threads and building an idea of what you’d like to do (and how!) but we also now have a trip planning tool which is super handy for saving ideas, adding travel information and building a plan.

And best of all, you can login into Trip Planner with your iKnow Community login details!

All you need to do is head to https://tripplanner.visitscotland.com and login! Once you have, there are only 3 steps you need to know so you can get started:

Once you’ve added a destination to your trip you can give the itinerary a name, and after that you can continue to add to the same trip or create lots of different ones and select from the drop down menu each time for which one to add it to.

Once you’ve created your trip you can view as a list or on a map like the below:

AND you can also share your trip with other people, via the custom URL it generates. So you can now view my trip from the map above, by going to: https://tripplanner.visitscotland.com/trip/adventures-scotland

So what are you waiting for? Get trip planning now

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• KazW8aKazW8a Member ✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandAmanda  the travel times are really handy - I am also finding Trip planner really useful to pop in accommodation ideas and bookmark articles I wanted to save. Thinking of Mull this year and Fife at Easter so will get cracking on a wish-list!  B)
  • YogiO68YogiO68 Member
    I found this website on Facebook.  I'd love to be able to print the pages for 7 Days in the East of Scotland and 7 days In the west of Scotland with all the info, but it is really tricky to do since there are several buttons to click to get to more information.  Is there an easy way to print this?  Or is there a book I can purchase that has this exact info and all the tips and suggestions?

We were in Scotland a couple of years ago, but we only got to visit Edinburgh and Stirling and we loved both, of course.  This year, we have plans to spend more time in Scotland (about 20 days and want to visit several of the places mentioned in the articles.  Any tips or ideas are appreciated.  Thanks!
  • HyderHyder Member
    i am planning to book Dunalastair hotel for my stay in Scotland in June, i have heard this is a historical place, can anyone suggest on this please, How far is nearest public transport? how much time you suggest me to spend in Kinloch Rannoch? what are the nearby attractions and cost please if possible? 
  • jackcairneyjackcairney VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hey Hyder, I've never stayed in Dunalastair hotel but it looks fantastic :)  There are some great castles to explore in Kinloch Rannoch including Blair Castle in Blair Atholl and Castle Menzies which is near Aberfeldy,  if you are in Aberfeldy and you are into your whisky then I would recommend the Dewars Aberfeldy Distillery Tour, its very interesting and they let you try some great whiskies :) 

There are also some great highland safaris you can book in that area.

Hope you enjoy your visit :)

Thanks

Jack
  • HyderHyder Member
    Hey Jack, thank you, 
    i don't know much about the area, and i don't drink either, 
    do you suggest 2 or 3 days for pitlochry & loch rannoch, 
    do we have public transport till Dunalastair Hotel? 
    Cheers, Hyder
  • jackcairneyjackcairney VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hi Hyder,

You could easily spend 3 days in the area.  Have a look at this link http://www.dunalastair.com/Transport-in-Highland-Perthshire  it will give you some information about public transport in the area and at the hotel.  Here is a link with information about things to do and see in the area which hopefully is useful for your stay http://dunalastair.com/Places-to-Visit-from-our-Holiday-Cottages

Hope you enjoy your stay :smile:

Thanks

Jack
  • JoelJoel Member
    I'm having trouble using the trip planner.  I've tried Explorer, Chrome, and Edge.   No joy on any of them.  It's not working for me.
  • Pebbles60Pebbles60 Member
    I am planning a trip to Scotland, couldn't get the Trip Planner to work, maybe because I'm a newbie...want to center my trip around Kilmarnock, that's where my Gram was born...my Armstrong heritage says I need to see the Borderlands and my MacKendrick / MacArthur lines....the Highlands...looking for suggestions on accomodations, interested in B&B's mostly, checked out the rail and bus passes..seem like a good idea....need some GREAT ideas....I'm flying in to Glasgow from Canada
  • RodyRody Member
    I also, cannot get the trip planner to work for me.  Thinking like the others, that it may be because I am new.  Any advice?  
  • My mother, sister, and I are excited to be visiting Scotland in July. We have rented a car for our travels throughout the country, but we have decided to return the car before our last two nights, which will be spent at The Scotsman in Edinburgh. I see the hotel is near Waverley Station, so I wonder what is the best choice of transportation for us to get from the airport (where we are scheduled to drop off the car) to our hotel. All advice will be much appreciated!
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @AmyWallaceHart

You can get to your accommodation very easily from the airport just by catching the tram. It should almost take you door to door :)

The tram is well sign posted at the airport so will be easy for you to find.
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Joel @Pebbles60 @Rody - sorry to hear you're having issues with Trip Planner - if you could private message me more information about what isn't working and any info you think will be useful for me to pass onto our tech team then I will get this looked into for you :)
    Instagram
  • Hello @AmyWallaceHart

You can get to your accommodation very easily from the airport just by catching the tram. It should almost take you door to door :)

The tram is well sign posted at the airport so will be easy for you to find.
    Thank you @VisitScotlandAmanda! I was hoping that is the case. I certainly appreciate your advice!
  • HyderHyder Member
    Hi Jack, thank you for the information, i actually visited this website http://www.dunalastairhotel.com/ and planning to book my stay here as i am observing this as a heritage site in Pitlochry, Scotland which is around 250 years old, apart from roaming calidonian forest, biking, hiking, do you see any other activity or in case i am missing any thing, cheers, Hyder 
  • jksmithjksmith Member
    Hyder said:
    Hi Jack, thank you for the information, i actually visited this website http://www.dunalastairhotel.com/ and planning to book my stay here as i am observing this as a heritage site in Pitlochry, Scotland which is around 250 years old, apart from roaming calidonian forest, biking, hiking, do you see any other activity or in case i am missing any thing, cheers, Hyder 

Hello @Hyder

I stayed at the Dunalastair Hotel in Kinloch Rannoch for 5 days (in 2008) and yes this is one of the longest-standing hotels (over 250 years old) set in an amazing backdrop of mountains and lochs and it is an ideal destination for action packed adventure holidays including scenic walking trails (both gentle and challenging), fishing, Highland safaris (Birdwatiching, Wilderness), off road cycling, horse riding, deer stalking, golf and activities for the whole family.

The village of Kinloch Rannoch overlooks the river and waterfall, with marvellous views over the nearby lochs and mountains and when you open the big double doors at the Dunalastair Hotel, the first sound of the morning is the waterfall, tumbling incessantly down the hill a score or so yards away.

The cost from Rannoch Station to Dunalastair hotel would be £3 per person I guess, as I paid £2 per person to local shuttle service provider in 2008, so there could be a £1 hike or so since then, therefore i suggest you to discuss this with the hotel staff directly. 

In case of any other help please let me know.
    Cheers! JK

• jksmithjksmith Member
    Hyder said:

Hello @Hyder

I stayed at the Dunalastair Hotel in Kinloch Rannoch for 5 days (in 2008) and yes this is one of the longest-standing hotels (over 250 years old) set in an amazing backdrop of mountains and lochs and it is an ideal destination for action packed adventure holidays including scenic walking trails (both gentle and challenging), fishing, Highland safaris (Birdwatiching, Wilderness), off road cycling, horse riding, deer stalking, golf and activities for the whole family.

The village of Kinloch Rannoch overlooks the river and waterfall, with marvellous views over the nearby lochs and mountains and when you open the big double doors at the Dunalastair Hotel, the first sound of the morning is the waterfall, tumbling incessantly down the hill a score or so yards away.

The cost from Rannoch Station to Dunalastair hotel would be £3 per person I guess, as I paid £2 per person to local shuttle service provider in 2008, so there could be a £1 hike or so since then, therefore i suggest you to discuss this with the hotel staff directly. 

Cheers!

• HyderHyder Member
    Hi Jksmit, thank you sharing your experience,

but guys....
    ...surprising to see Tigers in this area :smile: i was not expecting they are mentioning 'Amur Tigers' here!

http://www.dunalastairhotel.com/scottish-highlands/wildlife-and-birdwatch-holiday-safari 

Well this is really exciting then and worth visiting, i haven't heard of Tigers in Scotland earlier!

if any one knows what type of shopping we can expect in town? i am really not sure about if can pick Asian food anywhere! i wish :) 

Cheers!
  • antsoarantsoar Member
    What a great site! 

Hello, my name is Antonis and I live in Greece. 

I’m visiting Scotland, for one week, in June. It’s going to be a bicycle road trip, my first of this kind. I’m arriving almost midnight in Edinburgh airport and then I will catch the first train in the morning to kyle of lochalsh. From there I will have 6 days to go back to the airport. And that’s about all the planning I have done so far hahahaa.

Any routes or suggestions will be useful.

Please excuse my poor English. 

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    antsoar said:
    What a great site! 

Hello, my name is Antonis and I live in Greece. 

I’m visiting Scotland, for one week, in June. It’s going to be a bicycle road trip, my first of this kind. I’m arriving almost midnight in Edinburgh airport and then I will catch the first train in the morning to kyle of lochalsh. From there I will have 6 days to go back to the airport. And that’s about all the planning I have done so far hahahaa.

Any routes or suggestions will be useful.

Please excuse my poor English. 

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/routes
  • AmyWallaceHartAmyWallaceHart Member
    Will my American car phone charger work in a rental car in Scotland?
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Should do Amy
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • jayandrews929jayandrews929 Member
    Hello,
    We will be visiting Scotland from July 4-july 12. We will visit friends at St Andrews University. Can you recommend itineraries maybe up the east  coast? Also have an interest in maybe getting to some islands. We're interested in hiking as well as seeing some history. Having a hard time getting started. 

Thanks.