Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Castle stay- no car

We would like to stay 1-2 nights in a castle, but are somewhat limited in access due to the fact that we will not have a rental car. Any ideas on castles along or close to the rail lines would be appreciated.

Right now our itinerary is wide open so all areas would be suitable.

Thanks,

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    How about next to the most famous of all? Eilean Donan castle now has beautiful rooms available next door, some rooms with an uninterrupted view of the castle! Just a £15 cab ride from Kyle of Lochalsh station, the end of one of the best railway journeys in the world.

If you want to stay inside a castle, without too much distance from Edinburgh, I'd recommend Knock castle in Crieff (train to Dunblane and 1 bus).

Whatever you pick, make sure your stay does not end / start on a Sunday. The rural public transport is pretty much non-existent on a Sunday so you'd be stranded. :smile:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @billypunk, you don't mention where you are coming in to or leaving Scotland from or your budget? If you're in the Glasgow area - crossbasket castle hotel make be work a look at - it's an expensive and indulgent luxury :-)

Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Thanks for your input. We're flying into Edinburgh (from Canada) and will be in Scotland 3 weeks. We'd like to do a route that includes Pitlochry,Inverness, Mallaig, Oban (with a jaunt to Mull) . We're open to other ideas, but again, as we will have Britrail passes, we're somewhat limited to rail, ferries, and bus routes.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @billypunk!
    Have a look at the 'Stay in a Castle' section of our website.  There are 148 castles to choose from and they all look amazing!  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [Deleted Content]