Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

QUIZ: Scottish Towns with 10 letters

ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
While browsing the web I stumbled upon a frequently asked question on Google which was "Scottish Towns with 10 letters" (probably for crosswords  ;)  )

That inspired me to invite the community to join a wee fun game  >:)

Rules: name ONE Scottish Town with 10 letters, add your picture if possible and add some interesting info, tips or your experience related  to your answer

Good luck!

Let me start off.

S T O N E H A V E N

This one of most picturesque and attractive harbours in Britain, it's also the birthplace of the pneumatic tyre and the fountain pen. The popular resort town features Scotland's only Olympic-sized, art deco, heated, salt-water swimming pool. 

Scotland Traveloholic
 | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
Simply Sharing Scotland!
Tagged:

Comments

• MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    @ScotlandTraveloholic @VisitScotlandAmanda

G A L A S H I E L S

Main town on the #bordersrailway
    http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/

Attractions nearby include
    http://www.scottsabbotsford.co.uk/

Soon to be home to the amazing Great Tapestry of Scotland
    https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/news/article/1834/tapestry_recommended_for_galashiels_site_with_25million_scottish_government_support_confirmed

A lovely traditional borders town, complete with a Common Riding 
    http://returntotheridings.co.uk/events/ a spectacle worth seeing!

Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited February 21
    Nice idea @ScotlandTraveloholic !

One for people who listen to travel reports regularly:

ECCLEFECHAN 

It's the birthplace of the 19th century writer and historian Thomas Carlyle. His house in Ecclefechan is open from March 1st. 

I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Mine is St Andrews (10 characters if you count the space!)

I love a visit to this town, it's a lovely place with a VERY good ice cream shop! Maybe it's because I've been to a wedding here and of course, it's the place where a prince met his princess, but with it's quaint streets, beautiful beach and grand ruins, I think the whole town is really rather romantic. 
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Well done on Galashiels & Ecclefechan!! The 10 letter constraint bothered me for an hour till I gave up. I'm having trouble thinking answers with an abbreviation AND a space are acceptable  ;)
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I am going to add the Isle of Mull - obviously not a town. 

Stunning scenery and thriving wildlife. Home to Ben More - 966 metres of munro. 
    Duart castle is well worth a visit too. From Fionnphort you can catch the ferry across to Iona too. 

Tobermory is home to lots of independent shops, restaurants and the Tobermory Distillery. In the summer you can take boat trips out to Staffa and do wildlife tours. 

I have also been lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis here on more than one occasion. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @ScotlandTraveloholi, What about one of my favourite places...... Gleneagles, the home of the 2014 Ryder Cup Matches & in 2019 it will hold The Solheim Cup.I love this place. I would highly recommend Gleneagles for Golf, Restaurants or just snacks and a drink.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • murray_lesleymurray_lesley Member
    Longniddry, East Lothian part of the John Muir Way
  • Liz_SLiz_S Member
    Rosemarkie.
    Beautiful beach, pretty little village and Faery Glen is a magical place for a stroll
  • edited March 17
    It's not a town, but GLENFINNAN has 10 letters :)

Glenfinnan is a small village situated in Lochaber, 17 miles from Fort William, north-west along the "Road to the Isles" to Mallaig. It is home of the beautiful Loch Shiel, the monument to commemorate the raising of the Standard in 1745 by Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobites, and also the Glenfinnan Viaduct, constructed in 1897 by Robert McAlpine & Sons.

Glenfinnan is a really beautiful little village, connected by single track road throughout. There are around 55-60 houses in the village, mostly off the main road and therefore when people visit the monument and the viaduct, they are surprised to know there is a village there!!

Films shot in the village include: Harry Potter, Highlander, The Railway Man, Charlotte Gray and regretfully, Made of Honor (where somehow he gets from the Skye Ferry near Glenelg to Glenfinnan on horseback in mere minutes). 

It is also my home and I love it very much. Here are some pictures I've taken of the village in the past. I love how these views never really change - always breathtakingly beautiful!
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Motherwell

Dalzell HouseJPG

Image is of Dalzell House, close to the town.