Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

With kids by car: a nice stop between Uig (Skye) and Edinburgh

MichelaMichela Member
Hi everybody and congratulation for the helpful website. I'm planning a travel to Scotland in April with 2 young children. We'll stay one week and we've planned to stop in Aberdeen 2 nights, Inverness 2 nights, Skye 2 nights and then to go back to Edinburgh to fly back home.
Skye/Edinburgh is way too far to drive straight with kids, so I'm looking for a stop in between: could anyone suggest a nice village on the way to stop by for 1 night?
Thanks so much and regards, 
Michela.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    There are 2 good options depending on the route you take, the A82 route is a bit longer but you'll be able to stay a night at Glencoe, one of the most picturesque places in Scotland. If the weather is good, the family can take some scenic walks in majestic scenery.

On the A87 route, though Pitlochry is the natural choice, I recommend staying the night at Dunkeld. The village is pretty and is also the birthplace of the author Beatrix Potter who wrote the Peter Rabbit set of childrens stories. You possibly could introduce your kids to the stories before taking them to the Beatrix Potter museum in Birnam. Lots of walks in that area as well.

Use the Walkhighlands website to find walks in any of the areas you're interested in.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • MichelaMichela Member
    Thank you soooo much! I visited a beatrix potter (amazing) museum but it was in the lake district...I'll check it out, thank you again!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    My pleasure! The exhibition here is smaller than the Lake District but the gardens are cute and you can really see where she got her inspiration for her story settings when you walk through the area. Also I was mistaken in calling Dunkeld the birthplace of Beatrix Potter, she spent many a holiday in the area as well as Lake District :)
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @Michela, Dunkeld & Birnam was the birthplace of Peter Rabbit but @Horizons was right about the garden being cute. There is also an exhibition including her Funghi drawings. You may also want to think about staying in Aviemore with the kids. There is so much to see & do there. The reindeer centre, sled dogs, working sheep dogs, steam train, lots of great outdoor activities and loads more for kids.
    Best regards
    fishypro