Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Very mundane subject - Laundry

How can I find a place to do laundry while en route on a three week trip?

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I know 2 ways, mixing in AirBnbs with washing machines for atleast 2 consecutive nights (to help dry out clothes) or mixing in campsites / hostels with proper washer + dryer facilities (The Luss camping and caravaning club site is an example I've encountered).

Am sure some towns have laundromats that you can find by googling / asking locals.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    If Aberdeen is on your route, we have a local laundromat where you can get a service wash done, or do your own washing weekday evenings and all day at weekends. 
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    Hi @MaryWhitCin - My two cents' worth is start with the right clothes and laundry will be a cinch.

I wear a lot of merino wool. It's warm, even when damp, yet cooler than cotton in heat; it dries quickly; does not retain odors (Icebreaker: 'one week, no stink'). I also wear lightweight, wind/rain resistant fabrics that dry quickly. These tend to shed dirt/dust so they don't look soiled as quickly as less technical fabrics.

'Traveller's Laundry' is what I call it. It's easy, quick, even more efficient if you start with the right fabrics.

Any garments due for a wash/rinse go into the shower with me. As I shampoo/soap myself, I swish the pants, t-shirt, socks around with my feet in the sudsy run-off. Muddy hike? Pant cuffs get an extra scrub. The garments are held up under the shower for a rinse, squeezed so they aren't dripping, tossed into the bathroom sink while I towel off/dress.

I give everything a good squeeze-out over the sink, lay out flat on the bath towels, roll it up and then I stand on it for a minute to draw out excess moisture. 

Almost everywhere I stayed in Scotland had hot water radiator heaters in the bathrooms and bedrooms; the bathroom heaters cleverly designed to serve as towel racks. You'll love the warm towel after your shower!

Washed clothing hung over radiator racks dried overnight or during the day while I was out exploring. Choosing technical fabrics ensures quick drying, no wrinkles.

Side note: Tho I live in jeans and 100% cotton tees at home, denim is the last fabric I would travel with; no warmth when wet or in sub-zero temps, dries slowly. Cotton wrinkles. Avoid polyester! It holds body odor and travelling light means wearing the same clothes a few days in a row. No whites or light colours. I go with a combo of black, tan, grey, burgundy so everything coordinates, disquises dirt.

An example of my travel clothing quiver:

Merino wool! T-shirts. Leggings that work as long johns, pyjamas or with a skirt/skort/shorts. A cozy zip-up long sleeve layer. Socks. (My go-to: SmartWool, Icebreaker)
    Lightweight, wind/rain resistant pants and skort (My go-to: Outdoor Research, Arcteryx, Rab, The North Face)
    Ultra-thin, high loft, goose down 'sweater' (any super-light down coat)
    Rain shell and pants (My waterproof set is from OR, the coat and pants each pack to the size of a grapefruit).

I don't want to spend time in a laundromat or ask my hosts to use their personal laundry so 'Traveller's Laundry' has been my go-to for years. The added bonus for the UK is the sensible radiator racks that dry everything quickly.

I guess this is a laundry AND pre-trip clothing choice post all in one. But planning is a traveller's best ally
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree with @SuYL about your choice of clothes - if you don't own any clothes like that then it is an expensive outlay. For instance, Merino base layers are not cheap - I've built up my collection of clothes like that over the past couple of years and I use them when walking. To answer your question @MaryWhitCin...most large towns will have a launderette and many will do your washing for you if you want to spend your time sightseeing rather than watching your socks go around and around!