Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

May In The Highlands

Hi , my husband and myself will be visiting the highlands in May. We are hoping to take in Elgin which is where I was born and would love to see,  also Lossiemouth where my late father was stationed in The Royal Navy, The Moray Firth and Inverness. We will be driving up from Wolverhampton. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should see while we are up there and also on the way back home.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    There are many places that I'd like to recommend on the route but it would help to know how many days you can spend sightseeing and if you'd be willing to drive further from Inverness / Elgin. It is a very long drive up from Wolverhampton, I would also suggest that you take the train upto Glasgow / Inverness and then rent a car. But if you are driving up from Wolverhampton, do make a stop at the Lake District (a must for literature lovers, home to William Wordsworth museum & grave and great natural beauty).

The additional advantage of seeing the Lake District is it will show how beautiful Scotland really is compared to some of the best of England. My recommendations based on my travels (links to them) are visiting the Galloway Forest Park, some of the Borders (Moffat & Wanlockhead), Perthshire (Pitlochry, Aberfeldy, Dunkeld & Birnam, Blair Atholl etc), Cairngorms (Aviemore, Newtownmore, Grantown-on-Spey) and Speyside (Glenlivet, Tomintoul, Aberlour). Lossiemouth is also home to some of the best dolphin watching trips in Scotland!

I'd also recommend driving back via Fort William, Glencoe & Loch Lomond.

Hope you have a great trip!

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• shandyshandy Member
    Thank you for your great recommendations, we will be travelling up on 20th May 2017 and returning on 25th so we can stop off to see other things on the way back to home by 27th
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    @Horizons has it covered. 

I'd suggest not bothering with a stop in the lakes, you could get into the Stirling area without breaking too much sweat from Wolverhampton. That'll open up getting to Elgin over a more relaxed pace.
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • shandyshandy Member
    Thank you for your reply, we are checking out hotels in Sterling but are having a problem with availability at the moment.
    Perth is only a little further on really and has plenty of accommodation if Stirling is problematic. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Findon17Findon17 Member
    We are traveling to the north of Scotland towing a caravan . What are the roads like from tarland up to John o groats 
    Primary A road - 1 lane in each direction.
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk