Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Wheelchair friendly places to visit on bucket list trip

I am planning a road trip to Scotland, its on my husbands bucket list, he is wheelchair bound now so would like help in planning what to see and ideas of where to stop.  I will be travelling from North West and plan to stop around stirling area first, then to make my way over to Fort William, Inverness - not sure at this point if I go to Ullapool which I believe is lovely or to head for Aberdeen but do intend to stop at Edinburgh on our homeward journey.

We would be interested in the Lochs, cruises to the islands, history of course, to see the Caladonian Canal and to ride on the Hogwarts train if possible over the viaduct.  We have all the time in the world for this trip and I intend to do it at leisure.

Please help me to make this trip one to remember any input you may have will be most welcomed xx  mo

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @missmo

Hogwarts train is over the glenfinnan viaduct http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/dates-times-prices-jacobite-steam-train.cfm
    It's a regular Trainline too! 
    Definintely go to Ullapool - in fact, if you can face the drive up a bit further head to Durness - there's not much there...but that's the beauty of the place! The drive and scenery are spectacular! 

Spend a day or 2 in Edinburgh - it's a fantastic city. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Please have a look at accessible accommodation in Scotland. This can hopefully help in planning your trip. 
    If you are going beyond Inverness, I particularly like Loch Maree on the way to Gairloch - breathtaking views and a beautiful drive. It would be a bit of a detour to Ullapool but worth it.
  • SimplyEmmaSimplyEmma Member, VisitScotland Contributor

Hi @missmo

If you’re planning on stopping around Stirling then I’d suggest visiting The Helix & Kelpies in Falkirk. It’s only about 20mins from Stirling and they are definitely worth a visit. They are incredible up close and extra striking at night when lit up. There is a visitor centre at the Kelpies and it’s a lovely walk around the Helix. There is also the Falkirk Wheel which is about 5 miles from The Helix and another great place to visit. They are all wheelchair accessible.

Are you planning on going to Stirling Castle? I believe most of it is accessible, but there are some areas of the Castle that aren’t. I’m actually planning a visit to Stirling Castle soon and I’m a wheelchair user so I can let you know how I get on if you’d like?

Callander is not far from Stirling and is a lovely little town. Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park has some lovely scenery and is a nice drive.

Lots of great places to visit in Edinburgh – Royal Yacht Britannia, Edinburgh Castle, Royal Botanic Gardens, National Museum of Scotland and so much more.

I went to Ullapool about 5 years ago to see a gig. It’s really beautiful, but I struggled to find wheelchair accessible accommodation. It might have changed now though. We ended up staying in a little B&B, it wasn’t accessible but we did our best to make it work, although it was really difficult and not ideal.

Isle of Arran is lovely – you could cross the water with Caledonian Isles from Ardrossan. Oban is another lovely town that you would love.

When are you planning your road trip for? 

Lifestyle, Travel & Disability Blogger

Blog / IG / FB