Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Arran Coastal Way - 65 mile walk

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

Has anyone walked the Arran Coastal Way?

I'm challenging myself to walk the Arran Coastal Way (65 miles) in June this year as part of My Peak Challenge. Myself, my fiancé and a few friends from My Peak Challenge will be joining me too.

Arran was our first holiday together in July 2006 when we first met, so we'll be staying in Brodick for two nights before our walk at the lovely Glenartney Guesthouse again :).

It will be seven days of walking around this magnificent island! We're taking our time as I want to enjoy it and see the island, no rushing allowed. This is why my fiancé and I have decided to wild camp most nights. In fact we haven't booked any accommodation yet for the walking days and will go with the flow.

Our walking plan
  1. Brodick to Sannox - 8 miles (includes Goat Fell)
  2. Sannox to Lochranza - 9 miles
  3. Lochranza to Imachar - 9 miles (optional 3 mile return hike to Coire Fhionn Lochan )
  4. Imachar to Blackwaterfoot - 9 miles (optional 2.5 mile return walk to Machrie Standing Stones)
  5. Blackwaterfoot to Lagg - 7.5 miles
  6. Lagg to Whiting Bay - 10 miles
  7. Whiting Bay to Brodick - 12 miles
There's lots of information on the Arran Coastal Way website that has really helped us plan our walking.

Accommodation

My friends have booked a cottage for the week. They will be working out how to reach the correct start point each day and return at night by public transport. You can also book into B&Bs/hotels/hostels/campsites along the route. Some areas are quite remote with minimum or no facilities so you have to plan well for this. Luggage service is also available on the island.

I'm determined to walk all the way around the island without having to go back and forward, so wild camping it will be! This means carrying all our gear which I'm quite anxious about, because of the weight. I've carried 10kg up Goat Fell for a sleepover before and it was difficult. I suppose this is part of the challenge and it gives us flexibility to camp where and when we want. Or as far as we can get that day! 

Any hints and tips?

If anyone has any handy hints and tips let me know! We're looking at buying a lighter tent/gear so that should help keep our carrying weight down. It should be the most wonderful outdoors adventure!
I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitter and Instagram  :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @DMWScotland
    The walk sounds amazing!! Unfortunately I haven't done it so no tips to offer. Good luck with wild camping, I hope the weather is kind. Please keep us posted with your progress  :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    Thanks @VisitScotlandMuriel. I'm really excited and look forward to taking lots of photos. I hope the weather is kind to us too! Some clear nights would be great too. I'll be writing a blog about our adventures, and will post here too. I hope it encourages others to try it too
  • quoddyloopquoddyloop Member
    Best of luck to you. I am ready to branch out into other areas of Scotland (beyond the borders and highlands) so no pressure, but much of my decision will be to see how your experience goes! :-)
    Thanks @quoddyloop :). Keep exploring new places! I hope my experience inspires you to do the same! 
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @DMWScotland Arran is definitely on my radar for this year so I'll be interested to hear all about it.  I hope both the weather and the midges are kind to you! We've just booked our first camping trip of the season at http://www.blaircastlecaravanpark.co.uk/ for April - only just up the road but I think you don't always have to go far to have fun! 
    Hi @Fofoma :)

I really hope for nice weather too, but if it rains that's fine too. I don't mind walking in the rain, I get more upset that I can't see the views!

Blair castle looks good! A great central base and easy access to beautiful walks! Lots to do. I see Pitlochry is close as well. I'd like to explore that area more so I'll keep this place in mind for future camping.

You're so right, you don't need to go far to have fun. I'm only half an hour in the car to Ardrossan, then I'm on the ferry to Arran. It's so accessible. I always feel like I'm miles away from home when I'm there!

I love camping, it can be stressful getting organised for it all though. Especially if you need to take for the whole family. But once you are all set up, it's so relaxed and worth it!

I hope it's not too cold in April for you, have fun and post some photos :)
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @DMWScotland Thank you...yes definitely venture up to Perthshire some stunning walking here. 
    @VisitScotlandAmanda @VisitScotlandMuriel @Fofoma @quoddyloop 

So pleased to say I completed the walk around the Isle of Arran! We ended up walking 84 miles all in over seven days. I'm not sure how that worked out! We took lots of photos and I will be writing about it on my blog over the coming weeks. In summary though:

We didn't carry all our gear with us, backpacks too heavy with extras like our cameras, GoPro, drone. So we walked to each destination, then got the bus back to pick up our car and drive back to where we were camping.

Day 1 - wild camped at Sannox
    Day 2-4 - camping pod at Lochranza campsite
    Day 5 - gypsy caravan at Seal Shore campsite, Kildonan
    Day 6 - tent at Seal Shore campsite, Kildonan
    Day 7 - tent at Lochranza campsite

It was a challenging but stunning coastline. There was also the option of an alternative route if needed. We seen seals, a sea otter, oyster catchers, curlew, short eared owl, cute lambs and more. I had wet feet every day ... I need to invest in new walking boots lol. The weather was rain, wind, fog and sunshine (all in one day!)

I also got married on the island at Lamlash Registry Office the day before we started our walk! Just the two of us, loved it. We didn't tell our families until after we'd got married. We took our own wedding photos with a tripod, camera and mobile remote! Also a few drone photos.

Scottish wedding at Lamlash, Isle of Arran

Machrie Standing Stones, Isle of Arran

Being an Outlander fan I just had to ... I'm not sure what that sheep is thinking! lol

Some photos of the Arran Coastal Way walk

UPDATE

@VisitScotlandAmanda @VisitScotlandMuriel @Fofoma @quoddyloop 

Hello everyone!

I've finally finished writing my blog posts about the Arran Coastal Way. One post for each day's walk and photos as you go. It's mostly my experience and story about the walk, but the photos give a nice visual if you wanted to get a feel for what the terrain is like.

I can honestly say the Isle of Arran has the most stunning and changeable coastline.
    I hope this is helpful :smile: