Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Arran Coastal Way - 65 mile walk

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

Has anyone walked the Arran Coastal Way?

I'm challenging myself to walk the Arran Coastal Way (65 miles) in June this year as part of My Peak Challenge. Myself, my fiancé and a few friends from My Peak Challenge will be joining me too.

Arran was our first holiday together in July 2006 when we first met, so we'll be staying in Brodick for two nights before our walk at the lovely Glenartney Guesthouse again :).

It will be seven days of walking around this magnificent island! We're taking our time as I want to enjoy it and see the island, no rushing allowed. This is why my fiancé and I have decided to wild camp most nights. In fact we haven't booked any accommodation yet for the walking days and will go with the flow.

Our walking plan
  1. Brodick to Sannox - 8 miles (includes Goat Fell)
  2. Sannox to Lochranza - 9 miles
  3. Lochranza to Imachar - 9 miles (optional 3 mile return hike to Coire Fhionn Lochan )
  4. Imachar to Blackwaterfoot - 9 miles (optional 2.5 mile return walk to Machrie Standing Stones)
  5. Blackwaterfoot to Lagg - 7.5 miles
  6. Lagg to Whiting Bay - 10 miles
  7. Whiting Bay to Brodick - 12 miles
There's lots of information on the Arran Coastal Way website that has really helped us plan our walking.

Accommodation

My friends have booked a cottage for the week. They will be working out how to reach the correct start point each day and return at night by public transport. You can also book into B&Bs/hotels/hostels/campsites along the route. Some areas are quite remote with minimum or no facilities so you have to plan well for this. Luggage service is also available on the island.

I'm determined to walk all the way around the island without having to go back and forward, so wild camping it will be! This means carrying all our gear which I'm quite anxious about, because of the weight. I've carried 10kg up Goat Fell for a sleepover before and it was difficult. I suppose this is part of the challenge and it gives us flexibility to camp where and when we want. Or as far as we can get that day! 

Any hints and tips?

If anyone has any handy hints and tips let me know! We're looking at buying a lighter tent/gear so that should help keep our carrying weight down. It should be the most wonderful outdoors adventure!
I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitter and Instagram  :)

Comments