Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Whats 'The Dish' to Eat on Mull?

Hi All :)

I'm Travelling through the outer Hebrides to celebrate turning 29, But I'm spending my actual birthday on Mull. What is THE dish I need to have while I'm there?
Any Recommendations?

(also going to skye - Lewis/Harris and through Fort William - all suggestions Welcome!)

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭✭ Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Firstly, happy birthday a bit in advance! :smiley: Mull is a great place to be spending your birthday in.

I have a non-birthday recommendation for you, there is a small shack in Fionnphort by the ferry terminal & it sells seafood sandwiches, pick one of those up if you're in the area. In my opinion, it is one of the best sandwiches I've ever had because the seafood is so fresh. There is apparently a fancy seafood restaurant there as well & I can bet it'll be good if the nearby sandwich shops access to fresh catch is anything to go by. Mussels are a Mull speciality.

Other Mull food items I like are the Island Bakery Chocolate Gingers & Tobermory distillery whisky. If you're in Mull by chance on a weekend that holds the monthly Farmers market, you'll get some hand on some great produce. (I was very luckily on the island a couple of summers back for that, loved the Pistachio Biscotti baked by the local bus driver & his wife) 
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• MogMJMRMogMJMR ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Katestee

http://www.scottishlangoustines.co.uk/

Langoustine!

The thing to try fresh on the west coast.

Very much in vougue as an export from Scotland to  Mediterranean Europe  we are just starting to appreciate it here at home.
    Not sure where you are travelling from, but if you are as far north as Ullapool  (perhaps as part of your journey to or from Lewis and Harris) if doing an island hopscotch I had some great Langoustine in the Arch Inn, Ullapool http://www.thearchinn.co.uk/eat-inn/
    #ullapool #foodanddrink #langoustine
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • WY7FDWY7FD Member
    "The" place to eat on Mull is Café Fish.  Having said that, I am not sure they will be open for the season when you visit.  Good luck and happy birthday.
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel ✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I second both the shack in Fionnport and Cafe Fish in Tobermory.
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [Deleted Content]