Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Tantallon Castle

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Hi everyone, just wanted to share a few pictures of what I did with my sunny Sunday this weekend! A few friends and I took the drive from Edinburgh out to Tantallon Castle for the first time and it was WELL worth the drive, check out a few of my pics I snapped:

Tantallon is right on the edge of  the cliffs looking out to Bass Rock and the view is absolutely breathtaking (and the heights a little dizzying).  We timed it well with the sun beginning to set so had some lovely golden warmth to bask in, making the view ever prettier. (I even took my coat off for awhile, as you can see in the top pic!)

We were able to explore all around the castle grounds, through to the dungeon/prison, the dining room, servants quarters and up to the very top. They had a lot of information available about what life used to be like in the castle (personal servants used to sleep in trundler beds right beside their masters which I thought was interesting!) and I'd say it's absolutely worth the visit. 

We didn't have time yesterday but if you're looking to go to Tantallon I'd recommend combining it with time spent in North Berwick as well - such a lovely part of the country. More info on Tantallon Castle here
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• KGreaneyKGreaney Member
    Couldn't agree more! This castle is great to explore, and the fact that it's situated on the edge of a cliff looking out onto the sea just adds to the experience. And being a 30-40 minute drive from Edinburgh, it's super handy for an afternoon excursion.