Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Geocaching & Orienteering Adventures

VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Last Autumn, two of my friends introduced me to their much loved pastime of Geocaching.  We popped along to Cambus O' May Forest, just a few miles East of Ballater and set out to look for hidden treasures in the woods. My navigational skills aren't up to much, but it was great fun and certainly an interesting way to explore your surroundings! Orienteering is also increasing in popularity and is often incorporated into distance running races.

From 30th July - 5th August,  Royal Deeside will play host to the Scottish 6 Days orienteering event; it promises to be a top notch experience with courses in beautiful, scenic locations throughout Upper Deeside.

Can you recommend any top spots in Scotland for Geocaching and Orienteering?  B)

Looking pleased with myself after finding my first hidden Geocache treasure at Cambus O' May Forest, near Ballater.

Comments

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandSarahW

I've tried a bit of geocaching and renewed my membership last year intending to treasure hunt a bit more! Sadly I haven't had the chance to enjoy this again. I do love it though. I've found you end up visiting places you've never seen before. It can be annoying when you can't find it though lol. I've also seen some sneaky hides in disguise! I love those ones.

I had three trackables travelling around the world, two are now missing in action though :(.

Sail around the world
    Travelled: 
    2800 miles

A little wooden boat with a mission to sail around the world. It carries the Scotland flag travel bug and started its journey on Camusdarach Beach, Arisaig, Scotland.

~ Sail me far across the great seas ~
    ~ Exploring the lands unknown to me ~
    ~ Seeing wondrous sights along the way ~
    ~ With my new found friends on this fine day ~

Climb every mountain
    Travelled: 8106 miles
    Last seen: Arquipélago da Madeira, Portugal. Now travelling to Germany - still travelling I hope!

Mission is to climb mountains all over the world! The travel bug is Capricorn the Goat (my star sign) with a hiking boots keyring attached. Its journey started at the top of Goat Fell, Isle of Arran.

Happy birthday geocoin
    Travelled: 23 miles

This was a beautiful geocoin that I wanted to travel to Minnesota, USA for my friend's birthday. I even had his name engraved on the back hoping that no one would find value in keeping it.

Its journey started near Prestwick Airport, it travelled to Largs then the cache was trashed and it went missing :(.
    It would have been so amazing if it reached there.

I feel a new mission coming on now that I've started reminiscing about this! Thanks for reminding me :).

Visit Scotland could put a travel bug out there with a secret mission to travel to another country. It does take a long time to get there but it would be an amazing story in a few years! If it survives to tell the tale!
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @DMWScotland, wow this is really fascinating! The travel bug for VisitScotland sounds like a great idea....I'll pass that one on, you never know!  :)
  • KatKat Member ✭✭
    Looking forward to trying out geocaching along the Deeside way with my kids this summer.
  • that may be super fun! I've never thought to weave geocaching into my travels! how fun!