Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

STICKY: What's the best way of getting to Scotland?

Hey folks - this is a sticky thread for those commonly asked questions about flying, driving, train-ing or otherwise arriving in Scotland. As we see common questions coming up, we'll add them to this sticky thread. Please do comment below and nominate threads or links for inclusion in this sticky thread if you see them coming up a lot.
Tagged:

Comments

• It has to be the sleeper train - quite the most stunning views in the early morning as you head through the cairngorms towards Inverness.
  • TimothyTimothy Member
    I will be visiting Orkney in late May 2017. Current plan is to leave from Dublin. I may have messed up arrangements by assuming Flybe goes every day. Are there other suggestions out there about how to get from Dublin to Stromness or Kirwall?
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Timothy! If there isn't a direct flight on the day you want to travel, you could maybe break your journey by flying from Dublin to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, or Inverness then fly to Kirkwall from there? Or from Aberdeen you could also take the Northlink Ferry.
  • Having spent the last 15 years driving 12-13 hrs from Hampshire to our holiday home in the Highlands I now say fly every time! Easyjet, Flybe and British Airways  all fly to Inverness now so flights on a daily basis, only 1.5 hrs in the air!
  • bronnybronny Member ✭✭
    Hi, im coming to Scotland next year in September for around 3 weeks and i want to travel by train... and do little walks from the stops on the route. Any hints on things to do or see that are off the usual tourist haunts. :)
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @bronny I can write a page of text that answers your precise question. Thanks for a blogpost idea. Am writing my top 3 offbeat stations to get off at and things to do (I can talk about 5 more stations I think).

1. Arisaig / Morar (West Highland line): Get off at Arisaig and do some sea kayaking (book a few days ahead) or get off at Morar and be a beach bum a short walk from the station on white sands.

2. Bridge of Orchy (West Highland line): I took this picture near the station, there an entire railway bridge and train in it. Get off and walk around.

3. Achnasheen / Strathcarron (Kyle Line): The highlands in all its purity. 

Honourable mentions: Blair Atholl, Stonehaven, Dunkeld & Birnam
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • bronnybronny Member ✭✭
    thank you Horizons :)  The sea kayaking sounds good..will be interested to see what else you come up with :wink:
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    Hi @bronny You'll love travelling by rail (and coach which fills in the gaps). In Planning and Practicalities I posted a piece entitled Public Transportation - There's a app for that! It'll help you work out your route finding and timing. I've also listed a GPS app that was most helpful. Solo travellers can always use an entra 'hand' and those two apps were beneficial - daily! Enjoy your September trip
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Timothy said:
    I will be visiting Orkney in late May 2017. Current plan is to leave from Dublin. I may have messed up arrangements by assuming Flybe goes every day. Are there other suggestions out there about how to get from Dublin to Stromness or Kirwall?

How are you planning on getting around Orkney?  You can hire a car but automatics are very limited.  
  • LundyLundy Member
    edited March 3
    Hello. I have a question .I am going to be travelling with my bike during August and when I come back to Spain I will need a cardboard box for it. Can I buy one in the airport? Thank you for your help!