Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Ben Nevis Climb

FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
I'm climbing Ben Nevis in July at midnight for Alzheimer's so am training by walking and climbing hills as much as I can but I've yet to tackle a Munro. I'm in Fife so what Munro would you recommend that I attempt first?  
Nicola Holland
Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
You can follow me here
Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @FunkyEllas_Travel!

Ben Chonzie or Schiehallion are closest to Fife and recommended for first time climbers. No scrambling needed so easy for the winter months too if you're well prepared!

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin are also nearby just north of Callandar, but they're usually done as a pair and you need to scramble to get up Stuc a' Chroin so might be a better choice as your second munro.

This link might be helpful too: https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/walking/munro-bagging/beginners/

Hope to see your pictures afterwards! All the best with your training :)
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @FunkyEllas_Travel Good luck with Ben Nevis - I hope the weather is kind to you! I've climbed Ben Nevis, Ben Chonzie and Schiehallion and I would recommend Schiehallion as it is a wee bit more like Ben Nevis in the type of Munro that it is. Ben Chonzie has a very flat heathery top but Schiehallion has a very rocky bouldery (if there is such a word) top so would give you an idea of the challenge you will face.
  • [Deleted Content]
    edited January 2017
    @Samantha_Grant Oh yes...Schiehallion definitely makes you channel your inner mountain goat!  :D The path up Ben Nevis is equally rocky just not as big boulders!
  • KatesteeKatestee Member
    edited January 2017
    Im Hoping to do Ben Nevis in May (weather permitting) is it safe to go alone? Im travelling from Australia, and my Travel buddy isnt into hiking.
    @Katestee Trust me...you will not be alone! It's a very popular climb - the time I did it there must have been 100 people on the summit and the same amount either going down or still coming up.
  • KatesteeKatestee Member
    awesome! @Fofoma thats good to know :)
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi Nicola! As you will know I am a Munro climbing newbie. I am now up to 8! 

My walk guides are here - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/tag/munro-bagging/

My favourite ones have been

- Ben Lawers (you start at 400m which helps)
    - Ben Vorlich - very straighforward
    - Ben Lomond - the best views you will ever see and thousands of people do it every year 

Schiehallion and Ben Chonzie are next on my list. I also suggest doing corbetts - Ben Ledi is also a great hill, just not quite as high as Munro. Good luck! 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• Totally agree with Ben Chonzie or Schiehallion - I've done both in the winter months and were easy strolls. Great for getting used to the hills.