Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Universities and Colleges across Scotland

OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Understanding Scotland
Yes we are bias but we believe Scotland has some of the most impressive Universities and College buildings in the best locations in the world, from the highly impressive traditional Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and St Andrews with their amazing architecture and vast variety of courses to more niche colleges located in the Highlands, Scotland really does have something different to offer students.  Have you studied in Scotland? Or thinking about studying in Scotland? Tell us about the experience of walking the steps of some of the most historic Universities in the world? Or why you are considering Scotland to further your education.  

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I studied Zoology at Aberdeen University. The campus is beautiful with lots of lovely historic buildings and it even has its own Zoology Museum, which is fascinating!

I found the quality of teaching excellent and the social life great! There are lots of really good clubs and societies too, I was a member of the Lairig (Hill walking) club and it was great as the hills and mountains of the Cairngorm National Park are only an hour's drive West of Aberdeen!  B)
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    Graduate of University of Edinburgh (Modern History and Politics). Fantastic education and the city is large enough to be cosmopolitan but small enough that you can get to know it very well in 4 years. Still my favourite city in the world.
  • I am a alumni of the University of Aberdeen in English and History. It is the third-oldest university in Scotland and fifth-oldest in the UK. Their campus is situated to the north of Aberdeen city centre in an area called Old Aberdeen. It really is a fantastic campus and feels more like a village in a city! 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    [Deleted Content]
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I am twice an alumni of Heriot Watt University. I studied my undergrad masters (Urban Planning) and masters (climate change) in Edinburgh. I have now lived here for 20 years - I never left I loved my student experience so much. I now regularly lecture at Heriot Watt as well. 

Edinburgh is a fantastic student city - and Heriot Watt is a great campus, out in the countryside but easily accessible from town. If you are looking for science and engineering courses in Scotland it is a fantastic international university. 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• KmrhuxKmrhux Member
    I studied both my undergraduate degree and my LLM at Edinburgh University - I must have liked something (OK everything) about the city, because I never left. I've been in Edinburgh for nearly 8 years now and have just bought a flat here. 
    Edinburgh University offers a unique experience; being so central, so immersed in such a beautiful city and studying in some beautiful old buildings. I was lucky enough to have lectures in Old College during my post grad, which I loved - I admit undergrad lectures in David Hume Tower were slightly less glamorous, although the views were incredible. 

My boyfriend did his undergrad at Stirling uni - a different experience as it's a campus university, but he loved it as well. Only an hour on the bus from Edinburgh, and with one of the most beautiful campuses imaginable. We went on a day trip there last year and had a picnic by the campus lake. The buildings are far from beautiful, but they fit perfectly into the landscape so that you focus on your beautiful surroundings and not on the architecture. 

Of course I am biased as I loved every second at Edinburgh university, but I can highly recommend going to university in Scotland - as long as you're willing to see out the long winters in a warm pub, you'll be fine.