Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Eating in Skye

Where are the best places to eat and drink in Skye?

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hey @malisara2003_yahoo welcome to the community :smile: You didn't need to have a separate thread for each question but I cannot personally answer all of them anyway :wink:

I do consider myself reasonably knowledgable about food & drink in Skye, here is a list of my favourites from across the island.

- Carbost two-fer, Talisker distillery and the Oyster Shed: The village of Carbost is food paradise due to these 2 being pretty much next to each other. Start off with a seafood meal in the Oyster Shed, it is their "factory store" so do not expect ambience but you can bet that it'll be some of the freshest seafood you'll have on your Scotland trip. Their Loch Harport Oysters are the best I've ever had (and I have had a LOT of oysters across the world). Follow that up with a tasting at Talisker distillery (with a designated driver of course) or take some of their whisky back with you.

- Seabreezes / Rosedale hotel for their seafood platters. Booking is essential though April might just be a bit lighter traffic wise than late summer. I am not sure Rosedale still have an onsite restaurant as before, call & check.

- Relish in Portree is great for a soup / sandwich & the local butcher has delicious, massive & affordable steak pies.

- The Shieling cafe in Uig has the best salad on Skye, I could literally taste the freshness! Also visit the Isle of Skye brewery to pick up a few bottles of a good brew while in Uig.

- Finally, the Sligachan hotel for whisky & craic.

Hope this helps. I dont know the answers to the midges question. There are a few concerts listed on this website under the April calendar. That should be a good starting point.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The best known restaurant on Skye is the Three Chimneys - perfect for a special occasion. Otherwise please have a look at the Food and Drink search results from Visitscotland.com
    A lot of the hotels will have a restaurant. As an example, the view from the Cuillin Hills hotel across Portree harbour is pretty special and the food is very nice too (having stayed there myself).
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Whilst on Skye last summer I ate at the Red Skye restaurant. Located in Breakish a small village not far from the Skye bridge, the restaurant boasts some amazing local produce. The menu is small but has lots of choice. We enjoyed every mouthful. Well worth a visit
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • AllysonEAllysonE Member
    My husband and I were on Skye summer of 2015. We really enjoyed Claymore in Broadford. So incredibly good! Cafe Arriba in Portree that had fantastic haggis flatbread. Delicious!
  • WY7FDWY7FD Member
    In 2012, my wife and I visited Skye with another couple.  We had a very pleasant lunch at the Old Inn in Carboast.  We were unprepared for the evening meal and quite by nice accident had dinner in Dunvagen at a filling station with a restaurant attached.  At first we thought "this isn't going to go well".  Much to our surprise the place was very clean and neat with tablecloths and a great menu.  I am sorry that I don't remember the name but it is on the main drag.
  • WY7FDWY7FD Member
    The afore mentioned filling station restaurant was the Waterside Café Bistro.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I second the Oyster Shed - it literally is eating in a shed but the seafood is amazing - and the view is to die for. 

If you are in Carbost then the Old Inn also does great food (although the staff can be a little surly, but that is half the fun) 

Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• Ailsa_T1Ailsa_T1 Member
    We loved the Oyster Shed last summer, after a visit to the Talisker Distillery. Our first night on Skye found us dining at the Antlers Bar and Grill in the Portree Hotel - most enjoyable!
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @malisara2003_yaho, we have been to Skye and we love our food. We found lots of great places to eat on the island, I have listed one or two for you to look out for:
    Cafe Arriba in Portree doesn't look great from the outside but don't judge a book by its cover. This is a great place for a snack, coffee & cake etc.
    Skye Pie Cafe is a must when in the area of Portree. Amazing homemade pies!
    The Old School Restaurant in Dunvegan is not to be missed.
    The Three Chimneys is definately the best restaurant on Skye. Fine dining at its best.
    Another great find for snacks & all day breakfast, Pizzas etc was Cafe Sia
    There are lots of other places to but this should keep you going for now.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • WallyWally Member
    There is fantastic new restaurant opened in the village of Edinbane a few miles from Dunvegan. The Edinbane Lodge is a casual fine dining restaurant set in a 16th century hunting lodge. The Head Chef is Calum Montgomery a well known local chef