Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Feedback on the community

Thanks for registering during our Beta period! 

We're working on building a really useful community for people visiting and living in Scotland, so it's really important that we get feedback from real users. 

Please use this thread to provide your thoughts on the current structure, functionality and direction of I Know Scotland Online.

We're particularly interested in:

• Any technical glitches you come across
  • Features you would expect to see in a forum like this that you can't find
  • Your thoughts on how we have categorised discussions in the forum
  • Anything you find confusing or unclear
Thanks again, and please feel free to ask questions here too. 

Tagged:

Comments

• ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    The IT engineer in me has a few trivial issues that stand out

1. In the thread header, "Administator" is in a dark colour which is clashing against the backdrop, the member status text should ideally be a lighter colour so members are more easily distinguished. Instead of showing status as Member for Contributors and Ambassadors, could that be changed to reflect their status so "normal" members know who is who?
    2. Year date on the Post. Just says March 2, ideally you'd want the year added as well so down the line, people can tell how old the post really is. Same with replies- it only shows time and not the date it was replied on.
    3. For me personally, not sure how some of the forum categories will pan out. How many threads would you envision getting about money and credit cards? This could potentially be a "sticky" thread instead, same with clothing and gear. That's just me though!
    4. The main body text of each thread is rather large, text size could be a little smaller and/or give users the option to increase/decrease. 
    Sorry for being a pest :)
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    Thanks for your feedback Ananyah, I'll add these to our list for consideration.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Re - ananyah's comment. 

A forum usually has three categories - Admins, Mods & Members which most forum users will understand. 

If there is another role - i,e an ambassador which has a role on the forum, then this should be shown as part of the structure (or not!) and explained to members what a Visit Scotland Community Ambassador is - if this is going to be something on this forum.

A contact details/page for the mods would also be good. 
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Thanks @Smidge - we're discussing a lot of these things as we add new content to the community and this kind of feedback during the closed Beta period is invaluable.
    Smidge said:
    Re - ananyah's comment. 

If there is another role - i,e an ambassador which has a role on the forum, then this should be shown as part of the structure (or not!) and explained to members what a Visit Scotland Community Ambassador is - if this is going to be something on this forum.
    Specifically regarding this point, VisitScotland Ambassadors have more in-depth agreements with us - as well as gaining early access to the community, Ambassadors provide blog posts and other content as part of the community's development, whereas our Contributor members (who we've also picked for their excellent local knowledge and web presence) are given early access to the Community and included in our communications.
    Me again....

Found a slight "bug" with the design aspects, mainly CSS colouring in notifications @VisitScotlandDave ;

Bug.JPG 38.1K
    Hi there - we just fixed that, if you press shift and R to refresh it should be displaying correctly now. Thanks for reporting though.
    Hi there - we just fixed that, if you press shift and R to refresh it should be displaying correctly now. Thanks for reporting though.
    Perfect :)

• EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I found it really frustrating to include web links and photos to my first post.  When I highlighted text to link to it inserted the link somewhere else in the post - I had to try a few times to check it worked OK.  Similarly, my photo wasn't inserted where I thought my cursor was, and this was a trial-and-error process of re-doing it and trying to copy it into the right place. The cursor just seemed to have a mind of its own ?!  Or maybe just user error ... :)

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

Hi Ewan, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

You can also drag images straight onto the text box where you're entering your comment, which might be a bit easier from a cursor positioning point of view. So if you hit return for a new line below the line of text where you want the image to appear, then drag the image from your desktop or file browser, it should go where you want it to go. 
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandDave I'll give that a go.

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hello  :)

I was looking at your 'Best of' section and when I first clicked on the page I felt that the words were just jumping out at me and I didn't know where to start. More so the posts without photos and probably because the columns are staggered depending on the length of the post.

So if I decided to read the first column, scroll down, then back up again to second column, scroll down back up again and so on. This is viewing from a PC, tablet and mobile will be slightly less cluttered looking because of the screen size.

It might just be me though ... I'm a slow reader and huge blocks of text sometimes confuse me at first and I don't know where to start.

Possibly if the boxes for each post were fixed sizes then a 'read more' link? This would be aligned more neatly, easier to navigate and read.

I love the idea behind it and I'm not sure if changing the layout would be too much hassle to consider.

Thanks
    Dawn-Marie :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    Thanks @DMWScotland - we may have some flexibility about how much text we show in that view, so I will add that to our list.
    Good morning all - thanks to your feedback we will be making some changes to the community over the next couple of days. These will primarily be in structure as we consolidate some of the categories to make the community a little easier to navigate. We still welcome your feedback during this closed beta period, so if there's anything you would like to highlight, please comment in this thread.
    Hey folks - our closed Beta will soon be coming to an end, so we're going to close this discussion and open a new one for feedback as open Beta Community members begin to join. Thanks for your contributions and questions so far!
This discussion has been closed.