Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Driving the NC500 in winter (yes...WINTER!!)

Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
edited January 17 in Touring and Road Trips
Hi all!

We've only just finished our NC500 adventures and have been keeping an online diary of sorts (one entry per day, full of heaps of photos and a description of what we got up to).

Winter isn't the preferred time of travel for most people that drive the NC500, but we've thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and thought that our experiences may help others in planning their own NC500 itinerary!

If you're interested, click through the following link and see how it all went :)

If you've got any questions whatsoever, please ask away!!

Cheers!
Andrew and Karen.

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Over the last few years I've driven much of the nc500 roads in early March. The roads are much better without the traffic over summer time. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
    For sure! Now that we're on the Isle of Skye we've seen a marked increase in traffic, but prior to that we were passing perhaps one or two dozen other vehicles on the roads in a whole day...and most of those were locals! It's been so good knowing you can stop anywhere (within reason) and take a photo, or check the map etc... One of the biggest up sides of driving the NC500 in winter :)
  • Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
    Hi everyone!

This is just a quick update to let you know that we've just published this EPIC guide to driving the NC500 in winter!!

Your Ultimate Guide to Driving the NC500 in Winter

We see the route becoming so popular during summer that many people are having to seriously consider shoulder seasons and winter as an alternative. So we thought this guide would help show you what you can expect, and to talk about some of the things you will need to do, to ensure you not only have a great road trip, but that you return home safe!

Enjoy!
    Andrew and Karen.
  • LiketotravelLiketotravel Member ✭✭
    My first family trip to Scotland and I would appreciate some helpful tips.
    1) I'll be staying in Tweedbank, Scottish Border. Where can I get good deals for car rental?
    2) Where is the nearest car pick-up & drop-off points?
    3) I'm from Malaysia. Any restriction about using my Malaysian driving license in Scotland & UK, in general?

About place of interest:
    1) Which is more enjoyable - Loch Lomond or Loch Ness?
    2) If I go for Loch Lomond, is it still necessary to go for Loch Ness? Are they similar in terms of things to see & do?