Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

5 Things You Have To Do In Glasgow

Glasgow is jam packed with things to do, so it can often be tricky deciding what to do. We've pulled together a small list of suggestions of some fun things to get up to in the city. 

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - Scotland’s most visited free attraction, with 22 impressive themed galleries, this is one not to miss.

Buchanan Street - a shopper’s heaven, Buchanan Street is home to the likes of House of Fraser, Nike Store, All Saints, Apple Store and so much more.

Pollok Country Park - Glasgow’s largest park, it is popular with families and runners alike. The park is even home to highland cows!

Merchant Square - located in Merchant City, Merchant Square houses a range of independent, stylish bars and restaurants all under one roof. It has an indoor courtyard and events are often run within the Square.

University of Glasgow - take a tour of the university campus and step back in time to discover the incredible architecture of the University of Glasgow. Some say it feels like Hogwarts!

What are your favourite things to do in Glasgow?

Comments

• RossSneddonRossSneddon Member ✭✭
    This was very helpful!
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Some of my favourite hidden gems are:

• Sixty Steps on Queen Margaret Drive which is a massive retaining wall of steps that were created by Glasgow architect, Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson in the early 1870’s.
    • Baird in the Botanics at the Glasgow Botanic Gardens bringing Shakespeare to life in our very own city.
    • Cathkin Braes for great walking and mountain bike treks, overlooking the city.
    • Mansfield Park Farmer’s Market where you can find some of Scotland’s best produce such as venison, shell fish and cheeses.
    • Glasgow’s Necropolis where you can view graves of the famous, inspirational and military as well as great views of the city.
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Head to the West End! I'm so biased because I went to uni there, but it honestly is such a beautiful part of the city. Here's a short guide to 5 things you can do in the West End :)

http://laretour.com/2015/01/19/five-reasons-to-love-glasgow-university/
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Transport Museum on the Clyde. It's a really interesting visit. The food in the restaurant there is good too. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• eliseandlifeeliseandlife VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Second the Necropolis!  Although for somewhere quieter, the Southern Necropolis is interesting too.  The People's Palace is one of my favourite museums, lots of local history.
  • ailsaailsa Member ✭✭
    Totally agree @ScotlandAdventures - the Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre is one of the best shows I've seen in the country let alone Glasgow. Completely unique and I don't think anyone who sees it wouldn't love it! The street art in Glasgow is also amazing and growing all the time - definitely unique and stumbling across a piece of art when turning a corner is one of my favourite things about the city.

Also echo those saying anyone visiting the city should go to the Necropolis - fascinating and full of history. I'd also say if it's a sunny day definitely visit The Lighthouse - great exhibitions, good insight into Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the view over the city from the top of the tower is just fab!
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I tried the City Sightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off Bus and it was indeed very useful for getting to see a lot in 1 or 2 days. It departs from George Square in the city centre.
  • BrezBrez Member ✭✭
    Loads of hidden gems off the beaten track in the southside. Alexander 'Greek' Thomson's Holmwood House is a revelation, and an eye-opener as his work can be seen all over the city - definitely worth the quick train ride to Cathcart.
  • Keeping an eye out for open days is a great way to see places not normally open to the public. 

The main event of Glasgow Doors Open is from September 12th - 18th this year. I'd highly recommend the Clydeport its a spectacular building! 

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram

• LizaLiza Member
    And what's about Glasgow Tower? I was there in this June.
  • HippipalHippipal Member
    Go for a walk along the forth and clyde canal. There is a lovely circular walk which does the canal and the river Kelvin.
  • BrezBrez Member ✭✭
    Get down to the Homeless World Cup in George Square all this week - no tickets required and the atmosphere is amazing!
  • BuzzBuzz Member
    Cheapest tip - Look up. As you wander around Glasgow, particularly Merchant City area, look up and you will see fantastic architecture around the buildings. 
  • quinequine Member
    See Glasgow in a different light - why not follow the City Centre Mural Trail - you'll find details on the glasgow.gov website /citycentremurals
    You'll find things you never imagined !!!!

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The city centre murals are amazing @quine! My favourite is 'The Worlds Most Economical Taxi', it can be found at the far end of Argyle Street at the bottom of Mitchell Street. Here is the link to a downloadable map that locates all the murals.  A great way to explore Glasgow! 
  • The 'People's Palace' is a must see for the visitors of Glasgow. Its on the route for the Hop on, Hop Off bus so easily accessible and beside it is the iconic Glasgow green.
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    A few doors down from the Kenetic theatre is the Britannia Panopticon Music Theatre where Stan Laurel debuted in 1906. It's a. It run down but is now a charity raising funds to renovate. Aw it's so atmospheric. You can go in for a look around and they still put on shows at night. A wee hidden gem. I can't wait to see it brought back to life.
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram