Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Favourite Burns Song or Poem

Since the day (Burns' Night) is fast approaching again, which song or poem by Robert Burns do community members like most, or would recommend to other people? I'll start with a song and a poem. My favourite poem is Holy Willie's Prayer, probably one of the best satirical poems ever written and still relevant today. My favourite song is Song Composed In August, better known to some as Now Westlin' Winds. Search Youtube for the Dick Gaughan version, it is truly beautiful. Any other thoughts?

Comments

• VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Parsman Two songs stick with me  as I had to sing them at primary school (I have the certificates somewhere to prove it!!) The Lea Rig and The Deil's Awa Wi The Excixeman but I think my favourite song is Ae Fond Kiss. I love Eddi Reader singing this.
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Oh yes I remember getting a certificate for singing Burns' songs too. My song was Scots Wha Hae and I can still remember all the words. Not to sound obsessed with Dick Gaughan but there is a brilliant version on YouTube with Maya Angelou sitting listening to him sing it. 
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandMarina Like you...I am also certified in singing  ;) My Heart's in the Highlands and Rantin' Rovin' Robin were the songs I had to perform. My favourites have to be Ae Fond Kiss and My Luve is like a Red Red Rose - both guaranteed to bring a teardrap tae ma een :smile:
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Could be the makings of a choir here..... :D :D
     @Parsman  @Fofoma

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    For the history buffs and the Francophiles among us, the tune to Scots Wha Hae is meant to be an old Scottish marching song called Hey Tuttie Tattie which was used by Scottish soldiers fighting on the side of the French when Joan of Arc raised the siege of Orleans.
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    @VisitScotlandMarina @Parsman Sadly my voice has not weathered well over the years and I now sound like a dying cat! :o
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    I love John Anderson my Jo,  it's beautiful.  I've also loved Tam O'Shanter since I heard it recited on TV as a child. It's never lost its appeal.  That's my wee dug on Brig o' Doon below.  Thankfully he wasn't chased by witches.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'll have to be very unoriginal here and say Auld Lang Syne - it never fails to bring a wee tear to my eye when I hear it :smile: