Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

saving for UK holiday sept/0ct 2018

hello everyone, we are looking forward to 2018 with great excitement.
we want to fly/drive our way around the UK. stopping in b&bs along the way.
i have been on many websites, looking for places to visit in Scotland. 
we r going to spend about week in Ireland first, than catch the ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan.
this is scotlands first draft:
frist stop Galloway Forest and the dark sky observatory, make our way to Glasgow.
travel through Glencoe national park and on to Fort William  and take a train to Glenfinnan. 
than make our way to the Isle of Skye, than to Lock Ness and Inverness, than drive through Cairngorms Forest,
make our way to Ardverikie castle and surrounding area (loved monarch of the glen). drive through Pitlochry and Aberfeldy 
travel along the Fife coastal route to Craill and on to Edinburgh. than we will make our way into England.
i have recently found the Ben Nevis Range Ski Lift on the Nevis Range, that would be great to do.
still looking for some great places to visit in these areas.
i would love any suggestions and ideas. cheers liz

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Liz, your list looks pretty comprehensive. Just yesterday I gave some suggestions for 3 days on almost the same route you're taking on this other post, see if that can be helpful : https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/555/best-route-to-go-from-ayr-in-june

How many days are you planning to cover Scotland in? If its around a week, I would highly suggest trying to squeeze out a visit to either Isle of Mull & Staffa (via Oban, pictured below) or the Isle of Harris. Both are otherworldly :smile: . Also try to visit some of the not-as-famous castles such as Kilchurn castle or Castle Stalker on the west coast.

Finally, do you have any specific interests that you'd like suggestions on, we can try to recommend places fitting those categories. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• lizziegbjplizziegbjp Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi @Horizons
    we would like to stay about 7/8 days.
    we like mountain scenery, but all country scenery is beautiful. am
    i am really looking froward to see the Glencoe area, Glenfinnan area and Isle of Skye.
    i like the idea of visiting small towns and villages.
    Bernie loves riding on old trains, coffee shops, castles and easy walks.
    i would love to find some where that has bungy jumping, hot air ballooning.
    i will check out the 2 castles, you have recommended.
    cheers liz

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Wow @lizziegbjp that sounds like some epic road trip! 

If you plan to visit Pitlochry then Killicrankie would be perfect for your bungee jump. Jumps are from one of the bridges over the river Garry. 

Another great walk is Glen Nevis and across to Steall Falls. It's rather impressive too. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  •  :) thank you. i am looking forward to star gazing, in the dark sky forest. we would love to some puffins, have seen lots of photos of them. they look so cute. and will check out the stathspey railway. cheers liz
  • hello  all, i was just checking out the "pass of the cattle" scenic drive. if we go to the isle of skye first than do the scenic drive  and than on to lock ness and inverness. how much time will we need to do the drive. cheers liz
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Lizzie, maps.google.co.uk does a pretty good job on timings. Generally it uses an average speed which you can easily attain. I know that doesn't answer the question, but it will allow you to check your plans and modify them easily :-)

Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk