Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Historical Scotland by Campervan Hire

I am looking to surprise my partner with a trip to Scotland this fall (we are from Canada). We are both very interested in Scottish history and the Highlands. Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated for our 10-14 day trip!
  • Recommendations on campervan hires
  • Excursion ideas for northern Scotland and where to camp
  • Must see historical locations (legends, celtic/gaelic, castles)
  • War / major battle sites (my partner loves immersing himself in war history)
  • Local tips and tricks to really experience the Scottish culture
Cheers!

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hiya, what month are you thinking of coming over? Certain camp sites close after the summer season...
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • hblouinhblouin Member
    Hi! I am looking at September.
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭

September should be OK - temperature will range from cold to warm. You will need waterproofs, it's Scotland, it rains. 

If you're looking for the Highlands, you could fly into Edinburgh and have a day or 2 there. It's worth not being in the Highlands for a day or 2 ... there's so much to Edinburgh! 

Then from Edinburgh, jump on a train to Aberdeen and speak to these guys http://www.deesideclassiccampers.com get your camper sorted out and after exploring Deeside (lots of castles) and Speyside (lots of whisky) head to the start of the North Coast 500 via Culloden battlefield and spend 10 days taking your time round the top of Scotland and you really can't be disappointed!

'Wild' camping is legal in Scotland, you can park up almost anywhere for a night or 2 so even if you can't find a campsite you'll be OK. Some places don't allow overnight stops but they are well signed should that be the case. 

Buy a decent UK road map like the Philip's Navigator Britain and most of the interesting battle fields will be mentioned on there, google maps even has some as well should a UK map on the coffee table be too much of a giveaway ;-)

Local tip - go to the pub, drink with the locals... 

Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @hblouin!

I love the sound of your holiday and campervanning is a fantastic way to explore Scotland!  2017 is also Scotland's Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology - what a perfect time to visit!! :)

Have a look at this section of our website....there are lots of companies all over Scotland that hire out campervans and motorhomes, and there is also some great information about some of the amazing driving routes so you can start to plan your adventure.

There are so many beautiful historical locations and attractions in Scotland so it's difficult to know where to begin!   Perhaps Central Scotland would be a good starting point; it sounds like exploring the medieval streets of Stirling on your way up to Stirling Castle and a visit to the Battle of Bannockburn Experience or The National Wallace Monument might be right up your street?  I'm sure wherever you go you will have an amazing time!! :)