Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Getting Around Scotland in February

Hi, I will be having my vacation in Scotland for a week in Mid February, I know it is going to be dead cold since I am planning to see the northern lights in Wick. Any idea of what are the sites to see during winter in Inverness-Thurso-Wick area. Thank you. :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Laukresya!

Average temperatures in Feb should be around 5-7 degrees so make sure you rug up warm and bring layers that you can easily pull on/off as it's still possible to work up a sweat in those temperatures if you're adventuring around!

My top picks for your adventures are:

• Visit the Thurso House
    • In Wick walk along the clifftop to the castle via the Noss Head Lighthouse
    • Go wildlife spotting in Wick (hopefully you'll get to see Puffins!)
    • Visit Inverness castle and St Andrew's Cathedral
    • Have a wander around the Victorian Markets in Inverness
    Hope this helps! What kinds of things interest you the most (nature, history, architecture?) - let us know and we can offer more ideas too!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • LaukresyaLaukresya Member ✭✭
    Oh that's great! I am pretty much interested in nature and architecture plus culture, main reason I chose to go to Scotland for a short trip, and I really want to go Far north because of the chance to see the norther lights. Is public transport easy during winter season? 
  • Hi @Laukresya  The North is one of the best places to see the Northern Lights, but they are elusive!  If you are travelling by public transport, you can get the train or bus from Inverness.  http://www.citylink.co.uk/ will give you details of the buses and http://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables-and-routes will give you details of the Norther timetable for trains which are less regular, (but the journey is awesome!).  Getting around when you are up North is a little difficult but you can do it.  I recommend downloading Traveline Scotland for your phone / tablet as you can select destinations and it will search all forms of transport for you.  Alternatively, hiring a car will allow you the freedom to visit some really cool stuff up in Caithness!  The Whaligoe Steps, Hill O'Many Stains, Farr Bay, Rossal Clearance Village are just some of the fascinating places to visit which you can only really do with a car.  The Thurso Information Centre in Caithness Horizons is a great place for local information too.  If you decide on a car and would like some suggested itineraries, just let me know! :)

Have fun and yes, it'll be cold and windy, but would we want it anyother way!? :)
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Laukresya. Depending on where you are starting off from, the CityLink bus service is a great way to get all the way to the North of Scotland. There are services from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. Here is a link to the timetables.  You could also get a train from Glasgow or Edinburgh to take you to Inverness, and then join the North Highland Line to take you to Wick or Thurso. This is a very scenic train journey but is quite lengthy and will take you 4 and a half hours to reach your destination.

Whilst visiting Wick you may wish to take a walk to 'The Old Man of Wick', this is one of Scotland's oldest castles. The castle is signposted from the town centre and there is a car park just a short walk from the castle. The castle is perched precariously on high cliff tops, but the view looking over the dramatic coastline is quite something. There are also information boards telling you all about the history of the castle. On your way to the castle you will also pass by 'The Trinkie' (Scots word for trench). This is a natural seawater swimming pool which is maintained and painted yearly and enjoyed by the locals in the summertime, there are also lots of little rock pools to explore!

The town of Wick is steeped in fishing history and many years ago was the worlds largest herring port. There is also a lot of artwork and information about the history of the fishing industry around the towns harbour and to this day is still a bustling port with many fishing boats still landing their catch here.

I do hope you get a chance to see the northern lights, the North of Scotland is by far one of the best places to see this light spectacular, you just need a crisp clear night, so if you do see them please share your pictures with us! Good Luck and have a great time!

Below are just a couple of my own photographs taken at The Trinkie, when I last visited Wick just last year  :)

@Secret_Highlands hiring a car would be great but I dont drive :) is there a chance that there are local travel agencies in caithness? I cant find it in the internet. that actually is my main concern going far north.
    @VisitScotlandLyndsay thank you very much for your suggestions, I really really hope to see those lights and take loads of photos of it :)
  • @Laukresya Hi!  There are local buses as well as the main ones to get you up there.  Let me check and get back to you with their details
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Laukresya,

you would probably be able to hire taxi's by the day once you get into the area, or perhaps speak to a tour operator from further south who could cover all of the logistics for you. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited January 2017
    Hi @Laukresya. Its fairly easy to explore both Wick and Thurso on foot,  but  connecting the two towns is the local bus operator Stagecoach. Here is a link to the timetables. It also includes the bus service to John O Groats should you wish to visit this village with its famous signpost!