Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Standing Stones near Dufftown?

We will be visiting Scotland this summer with my daughters Highland Dance Group.  We plan to leave the group at Dufftown and spend some time in that general area as that's where my family came from.  I would like to visit some Standing Stones, but don't see many in that area.  Is anyone aware of any significant ones close by?  Alternatively I would like to see Skara Brae and the Ring of Brodgar, what would be the best way or quickest way to get there from Dufftown? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi,  Another option should you choose to drive to Thurso or Gills Bay (there are two ferry companies) is to visit Calva Cairns where there are 3 burial chambers and surrounding standing stones.  The chambers are around 4000 years old and very atmospheric.  They are located just outside Inverness so about 1 hour 20 mins (approx 50 miles) from Dufftown.  If you are taking a few days to go to orkney and decide to drive, there is a trail you can follow which takes you past some ornately carved standing stones, brochs and museums http://www.exploreeasterross.co.uk/pictish-trail

Have fun!
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree with @Secret_Highlands  - Clava Cairns is closer and less travel. You could combine it with a visit to Culloden Battlefield.
  • Thank you all for the advice!
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    I spent time in Dufftown in April 2016, it's also my ancestral home. I don't recall specific standing stones but I can recommend wandering the cemetery at Mortlach Kirk; it's one of the oldest sites of continued worship in Scotland and there are Pictish stones on site; one in the kirkyard, badly worn by weather, others in amazing condition inside the kirk. You may also see burial stones with your ancestral name(s) on them. Dufftown has deep history, you'll love it.

Nadia provided great insight. The Ring of Broadgar, Maeshowe, Stones of Stenness, Ness of Broadgar archaeological site - all on Mainland Orkney - are all within a couple of miles of each other, all fascinating Neolithic sites. I flew Edinburgh - Kirkwall, got a good price on the flight, came back to mainland Scotland via ferry from St. Margaret's Hope to Gull's Bay to overnight in John O'Groats because I wanted to walk out to the Duncansby Stacks.

In the Inverness area, I also found the Clava Cairns to be fascinating examples of chambered tombs and standing stones. It's very close to Culloden Moor, a location not to be missed. The visitor centre there is a must-do, it has a remarkable 360 degree theatre in which the visitor feels they are in the middle of that historic battle.