Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

New to the board

I visited Scotland in 1999 as part of a British Isles tour group and have always wanted to go back & spend more time in Scotland. Maybe 2017 will be the year. Genealogy research turned up a ggrandfather, David Stinson, from Scotland.I also have a friend whose roots are in Orkney.

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Brensen, this is a fun website that shows where you're likely to find your surname today.... I'm not sure of the accuracy but it's a bit of fun all the same. 

http://named.publicprofiler.org/

I've tried it with my surname and it confirms my suspicions of where most of us live. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi @Brensen, welcome to the community! Here is another interesting link which is all about researching your ancestors: https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/research-your-ancestry/   Hopefully you do get the chance to visit Scotland in 2017 and if you didn’t get a chance to visit Orkney when you were in Scotland last, then you must do try on your next visit, it is such a beautiful island and steeped in viking and wartime history. I went across this summer just for one day, and I loved it. :)