Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

How long would you recommend staying in the Shetlands on a first visit in July

How long would you recommend staying in the Shetlands on a first visit in July
Tagged:

Answers

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    As long as you can afford!  :) I am half Shetlander myself and the islands are full of places to see and things to do, especially if you like the outdoors.
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi, because Shetland is out of the way I would recommend that you spend minimum 5 days there to see it properly. It's helpful to have transport (either car or bike). How are you planning to get there? You can take the ferry from Aberdeen or from Orkney (Northlink Ferries) or you can fly with Loganair.  Most people go to Shetland to look at nature like seabirds/whales/dolphins and scenery. Click here for things to see and do in Shetland. Have a lovely trip!!
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi @Aussie. I visited Shetland 2 years ago for the first time, and my visit was very brief, in fact only 2 nights! I flew from Glasgow to Sumburgh and immediately picked up my pre booked hire car (they will meet you at the airport). This was the best decision as it allowed me to explore as much of this beautiful island as possible in such a short space of time. I visited the Sumburgh lighthouse, then I drove up to Lerwick, around 40 mins. This is such a busy town with cruise ships, fishing boats and container ships all sailing into port. I also ventured to the west of the island and visited picturesque villages. The coastline is absolutely stunning, and the beaches are amazing with hardly a soul to be seen. Shetland has fantastic roads too which makes for exploring so much easier. So to answer your question, id agree with @VisitScotlandMuriel and opt for 5 days to get the most out of your visit  :) Hope you have a great time  :)