Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh/Inverness - Mid-March?

We have 7 days to spend in Scotland. How many days should we plan on for Edinburgh (2 Adults/1 Teen)? The rest of the trip we will use Inverness as our base for day trips. Also should we expect snow in mid-March?

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 2016
    H @csbuceo. Edinburgh is a fantastic city, there is so much to see and do! However, as your trip will be short and you wish to explore the highlands, I would recommend only one or two days. You also need to factor in the time it will take to travel up to Inverness too, approx 3.5 hours.

Scottish weather is quite varied and unpredictable, we can get snow in March but I wouldn't expect it for sure. Bring your winter woolies (hats & gloves), March can still be a chilly month!

I hope this helps and you have wonderful trip! :)
  • csbuceocsbuceo Member ✭✭
    Thanks. We will spend 2 days in Edinburgh then off to Inverness. We are using the Culloden House as our base. We are thinking of doing a day trip to the Isle of Skye via Eilean Donan Castle, returning via Lochcarron (Est.10 hour duration).
    edited December 2016
    @csbuceo, this will be a lovely day trip!

If you are interested in history I would highly recommend a wee visit to the Culloden battlefield as its not far from your base. Loch Ness is beautiful and Urquart Castle, on the shores of the Loch is well worth a visit if you have time. 

Glen Affric (approx 1 hour from your base) would also be another good choice.  The views are spectacular, imagine.... beautiful Lochs, hills and Caledonian Pine Forest! 

Enjoy your trip!  :)

• csbuceocsbuceo Member ✭✭
    Thanks again. The battlefield, Loch Ness, and the castle are already on the list. What about Fort George?
    edited December 2016
    You are very welcome!

Well now, I haven't actually been to Fort George I'm sorry to say, its on my list! I've heard it is really fascinating and it is in a pretty spectacular location, so I would say yes! Just bear in mind that very occasionally it may close due to circumstances such as adverse weather. So check this Historic Scotland page regarding closures before you go. Enjoy!
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @csbuceo I'd very highly recommend staying a night in Skye instead of doing a day trip, a 3 hour drive around Skye might be the highlight of your trip. I'd also suggest checking out the Moray coast if the weather is favourable and try to spot some dolphins while you're there.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• saltybexsaltybex Member
    Hi! Just joined this website - and very excited! My husband and I are traveling to Scotland mid-March as well for our 5th Anniversary. We have 2 weeks and are starting in Edinburgh, and then going to Inverlochy Castle at Fort William, and hen up to Culloden House at Inverness, and then possibly out to Three Chimney son the Isle of Skye. About 3-4 nights in each. Do you have any recs for a day of skiing while we are at Inverlochy at Fort William? What about going to St. Andrews - is it worth staying a night there is it accessible as a day trip? Thanks so much!!