Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Easter in Scotland

Hi! My family and I will be traveling from the United States to Edinburgh in April, and our first full day in the city will be Easter Sunday. Anyone have suggestions for the best things to see or do on that day? Are lots of places closed on that day?

Thanks!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @csproles17 - how exciting! Will this be your first time coming here?

Some smaller shops might be closed on Easter Sunday in Edinburgh but plenty of places should be open as normal. Travel services such as buses and trains will have reduced services but if you're staying in the city centre then there's plenty you can access just by walking :)

A couple of suggestions for your Sunday activity could be the Stockbridge Market or a Walking Tour of Edinburgh's Old Town

Our article Things to see & do in Edinburgh might help inspire you as well. If the weather is nice then a walk up Arthur's Seat or Calton Hill will give you great views of the city, I always make sure I take my guests up one or both.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know more about!

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Venture across the UNESCO World Heritage Site The Forth Bridge and visit Fife :) 

Some lovely Spring walks in the Lomond Hills near Falkland (as seen on #Outlander).

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @csproles17
    Easter weekend is very busy in Edinburgh and all the attractions will be open. For a list of What to See and Do in Edinburgh please go to the relevant page on our website. You might also want to start with a sightseeing tour of the  city
    Please come into the iCentre in Princes Street if you need any further help.
    Have a great time in Edinburgh!
  • Thanks @VisitScotlandMuriel , @VisitScotlandAmanda, and @John_WelcometoFife! This will be our first time in Scotland, and we're very excited. A few of things you all have mentioned are already on our list.

One more question. We have contemplated adding a side trip to Isle of Islay (in particularl Kilmeny—since that is my daughter's name!), but are unsure of the best way of getting there if we don't rent a car and make the long trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @csproles17 my suggestion would be to check out Traveline Scotland as you can use it to plan your journeys. 

I've had a bit of a look at what your options are (see the search result here) and it looks like it will take just over 7 hours. One change I'd suggest making to this journey is taking the Citylink/Megabus to Glasgow rather than the train. It's a cheaper journey and also means you arrive at the bus station you'll need to be at for your next leg of the journey which makes it a little easier.

Another option is also booking an organised coach tour to Islay. These are around 3 days but mean that you don't need to worry about your own planning if that's easier!
    Instagram
    Hi @csproles17 my suggestion would be to check out Traveline Scotland as you can use it to plan your journeys. 

I've had a bit of a look at what your options are (see the search result here) and it looks like it will take just over 7 hours. One change I'd suggest making to this journey is taking the Citylink/Megabus to Glasgow rather than the train. It's a cheaper journey and also means you arrive at the bus station you'll need to be at for your next leg of the journey which makes it a little easier.

Another option is also booking an organised coach tour to Islay. These are around 3 days but mean that you don't need to worry about your own planning if that's easier!
    Instagram