Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Midges on Mull & Skye

MinsmereMinsmere Member
edited November 2016 in Planning and Practicalities
Hi!

We're planning on visiting Isle of Mull for a week; and then Skye for a week (or vice-versa) in early August 2017; family with two kids (< 8yrs) and the grandparents for one of the weeks.  We'll be self-catering. 

Would like to get some idea of what the midges are likely to be like in a typical year on these islands.  We have been told by some that the islands are not as bad as the mainland; but of course, one person's bad could be another's tolerable.  Any general comments would be helpful.  For example, is it OK to have a lunch or an evening meal outside or would we become a meal too?!

Thanks in advance

Richard

Answers

• Hey @Minsmere  .  Both Islands are lovely :)  Skye can have areas where the midges are particularly bad, but you should ask your host if they have a midge eater for outside dining / gatherings.  these can be really effective, but also sprays like SMIDGE are also good and my nana couldn't see past the traditional coils when they went camping, (she's from Skye).  I would try to get an area that's open and can get a breeze as even the lightest of winds can move the wee pests on!  Usually, dusk is particularly bad but if the sun is out, you can be quite lucky and only get a few.  When you're out and moving, (like a walk) they don't really bother you - it's really only when stationary and they ambush you!! :)

I've holidayed all over Scotland and can honestly say that even when I've been ambushed on Arran whilst putting up my tent, they wee beggers haven't ruined my time!  Have fun guys!!
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • MinsmereMinsmere Member
    @Secret_Highlands: Thanks for the comment and information.
  • Tony_STony_S Member
    Avon Skin So Soft works brilliantly as a midge repellant. Even the Marines use it when on training exercises in the Highlands ! You may find it on sale in shops up there, but worth getting hold of some before you go.
  • [Deleted Content]