Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Escaping it all in Scotland

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
With Black Friday, and the rest of the hectic shopping season, fast approaching.. my mind automatically switches to finding a way to avoid the stressful crowds and dreary trudging around the shops looking for festive bargains.

Luckily, Scotland provides a lot of ways to distract yourself from the masses, and ways to escape completely for a bit of "you" time.

For me, that would mean grabbing my camera, and heading out into the wilds, in search of the many beautiful views and wildlife spectacles to be found in our stunning and diverse country

First stop for me would be a hike up one of our many mountains, yes it maybe requires as much, if not more, effort than a hectic days shopping.. but the views you will get as a reward trump anything you will find in the bargain bin! And you never know.. you could be the only person on that mountain.. bliss 

Imagine being the only person taking in that view.. or this one 

And if a hike up a mountain doesn't sound appealing, then why not try a spot of wildlife spotting! I find nothing more relaxing than spending a few hours either walking around a forest or sitting on a beach, taking in the sights and sounds, with the chance of spotting some animals.. big or small 

Like this curious seal near Kilberry, Argyll 

Or this little Red Squirrel in a forest near you 

And if we get clear enough skies (rare at times) there are plenty of spots I can think of, with little light pollution, that I like to head to and enjoy the millions of stars above our heads, it doesn't take long to drive from the city or town, or even walk to your local park and completely forget all shopping stresses.. as you gaze upon shooting stars and if your lucky, witness the Northern Lights dancing across the sky

Aurora at Bellanoch, Argyll

So these are a few of my favourite ways to escape the crowds at this hectic time of year... 

what's yours?
Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Great post @Lochgmarcp I'm just about to head to a nice remote spot in Argyll to escape the Black Friday madness.  There will be no shopping for me, just good food, company and spectacular scenery.  Saying that I'm an expert at avoiding shops.  I survived 6 days in New York without shopping - came home with a NY Mets foam finger and baseball cap from Citifield Stadium and that was it.  I think that's probably some sort of World record.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Thank you @Samantha_Grant :-) great place to escape to.. not that I'm biased hehe! And that is very impressive indeed.. I think that deserves some form of recognition ;-) hope you have a great weekend 
    Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
    edited November 2016
    So here it is, my Black Friday weekend.  

No sound of tills ringing. No shops visited. No panic buying. No mass consumerism.  No phone signal or WIFI.

For me it was traditional Scottish food enjoyed with loved ones in a remote country inn.  A roaring log fire and folk music playing (one night we ate by the cosy glow of candle and fire light after a power cut).  It was beautiful. 

We self-catered in a little wooden lodge that looked out into the rugged Lerags Glen. Evenings were spent chatting over a few drinks and enjoying each other's company.  In the morning I cooked us a hearty Scottish breakfast of Stornoway Black pudding, Puddledub sausages and bacon from Fife and fresh organic eggs from Ardersier. 

Over the course of the weekend we watched the sun setting over a frozen Loch Lubhair which was insanely beautiful and also over Oban as I looked longingly towards my beloved Mull.

We visited the remote Slate Islands, explored castles and walked on the beach.  

It was sheer bliss rounded off with the excitement of collecting ferry tickets from CalMac in Oban for our Hogmanay trip to Mull. Hooray for alternative-Black Friday.  Let's make it a thing. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Loving the theme of this thread and the gorgeous photos, @lochgmarcp and @Samantha_Grant !

In a similar vein, getting outdoors in Scotland really is the perfect antidote to increasing consumerism and and today's frenetic pace of life.  

At times like these I head for the hills - and that's exactly what I've done this weekend, wild camping on a mountain top just north of Crieff.  When I feel the stress levels rising (and when I see blue sky and snowy mountains!) I use the time to re-connect with myself.  I recharge my batteries, hit the reset button and 'ground' myself once again.

No 'Strictly' for me this weekend, the only stars I was interested in were twinkling above me.  No wasted hours staring at a TV screen, I had the ever-changing light, glimpses of mountain hares and views overlooking Central Scotland to distract me.

Wildness and nature really are a perfect antidote to today's hectic pace of life.  And in Scotland's rugged mountains, long-distance trails and coastal walks you really aren't that far away from 'getting away from it all'.

I agree @Samantha_Grant, an alternative Black Friday definitely should be a thing.

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

Thanks @Ewan - Your photos are beautiful.  Let's invent an alternative for next year.

• Franky_RoRoFranky_RoRo Member ✭✭
    My mood-lifting activities are kind of similar to yours @Lochgmarcp! I definitely head outdoors to give myself a "me-time" boost.

That's me thinking about life...and on top of the world at Ben A'an in the Trossachs  :) 

Absolutely beautiful place and not a difficult walk at all, under 3 hours round-trip, which completely works for me.

Ben A'an in the Trossachs 

Because I live in Edinburgh I get out quite a bit in the city too. There's 7 hills and I can get to each of them in about 20-30 minutes from Leith.

My favorite quick escape is up "The Crags", Salisbury Crags. I can park in or close to Holyrood park and be really high up with amazing views of Edinburgh in about 10 minutes. Again I like this quick-win thing!

This picture's from summer 2016 and we did this walk pretty much every couple of weeks because I love the views you get in-between the Crags down to the city. Want to do this at sunrise soon too. Love the idea of watching the city wake up beneath me.

Edinburgh from Salisbury Crags, Holyrood Park

I'd love to try yoga by a loch, but that's something I'll need to plan for in the warmer summer months...  B)

...Catch me on Instagram: @Franky_RoRo_
  • JakkisrJakkisr Member
    Inspirational photos and thoughts indeed! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Great photos and some splendid ideas for escapes. From the West end of Glasgow it's an easy stroll to the Botanic Garden - lovely at any time of the year - only a few more minutes walking will take you to the Forth and Clyde Canal. You can then head west or east for miles. Here's another idea. Read all about Peace Perfect Peace on Holy Isle off the Isle of Arran. Roger McCann
    www.writearoundscotland.com