Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

New Year activities

Hey everyone, 

I know there are lots of Hogmanay activities taking place but I'm looking for something tot take the family along to on January 1st. 

Any suggestions? Live centrally but don't mind doing a bit of travelling. 

Thanks!

Comments

• NizzyNizzy Member
    edited November 2016
    Hi Scott!

A friend of mine went to 'Scot:Lands' around Edinburgh City Centre last year with her husband, and really enjoyed it! 

I haven't been myself yet but I believe it's a mini-arts festival with each 'land' or venue being curated by a different organisation e.g. Edinburgh International Film Festival. There's nine venues to choose from (all within walking distance), with entertainment ranging from film, theatre to music, and you just make your way round what you fancy!

I think some lands maybe more child-friendly than others so it may be best to check first on the Edinburgh's Hogmanay website first if you're bringing little ones? 

Has anyone else in the Community been before? 

I haven't made any New Year's Day plans yet either so also open to people's suggestions! 

Sarah

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Scott1407 ;
    The Fire and Light event at the Helix Park might be just the ticket! An illuminated walk out in the fresh air complete with fire walkers, dancers and and a lantern installation might help to blow away the January the first cobwebs!
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi Scott,
    The Loony Dook at South Queensferry is good fun! You don't have to take part, you can just watch the participants if you don't fancy getting wet!
  • ailsaailsa Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott, it's on 31 December but the Brunton in Musselburgh is holding a whole day of family activities on Hogmanay which end about 9pm, so could be something to go along to during the day?