Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Christmas 2016 in Scotland!

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited December 2016 in Events and festivals
With Halloween now over I'm well and truly ready to embrace the festive season and get myself in the spirit with all things Christmassy!

Undoubtedly the days are getting shorter and the temperature colder, BUT with the change in season Scotland turns into a magical winter wonderland, with so many great events on that are the perfect excuse to rug up warm and get out and enjoy. 

If you need help planning your Christmas activities then check out the below for some inspiration:

Winter Festivals in Edinburgh
Christmas and Winter breaks in Scotland

Let me know what festive activities will be going on in your town and what your favourite Scottish Christmas traditions are!
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to the Royal Yacht Britannia's Christmas Weekend (Sat 3rd & Sun 4th Dec).  I'm going on the Saturday for shortbread, mulled wine and a corgi treasure hunt.  Next day I'm paying the Edinburgh Christmas Market a visit and going to see the Street of Light. Will share some photos after my fun, festive weekend. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Here in Perth it's the Christmas Light switch on this weekend (19th/20th) which is all part of the Winter Festival. The headline act are Slade...those of us of a certain age will remember them! Other events include an outdoor ice rink and a chocolate festival :)  Details here... http://www.perthcity.co.uk/
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I can't think of anyone better than Slade to headline a Christmas event @Fofoma!!
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    In Ballater next weekend (25th/26th) we have our Winter Festival.  Lots of fun to be had including an ice rink, festive stalls, Santa's Grotto and the big Christmas Lights Switch on. We have a beautiful church in the village called Glen Muick. It has a lovely tall spire which is lit with the sound of the Ballater pipe band playing below on the Green. Magical!   :)

• VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Tonight is the Christmas Lights Switch-On Parade in Inverness, but we then have a 3-day Winter Wonderland spectacle to look forward to in mid-December which sees Whin Park illuminated and features a visit from Santa and his reindeer which is always great fun for the little ones  :)
  • NewLanarkNewLanark Member ✭✭
    Hi everyone, I work at New Lanark World Heritage Site where we are currently gearing up for our 26th year of Christmas Events!! This year we have a Festive Pantomime, Santa's Grotto, Christmas Ride and lots more :) The events start this weekend (26th November) and run every weekend until 18th December, plus 23rd & 24th December. Anyone wishing to find out more can do so on our website :)
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh, I can hear Santa's sleigh bells already! 

Looking forward to the Balgove Christmas Night Market, or as i would say, the Balgo-Ho-Hove Christmas Night Market....

Skip the overcrowded shops, long queues, expired parking meters and opt for a festive night out at the Balgove Steak Barn.  With food from our wood-fired BBQ and favourite vendors such as Barnacles & Bones, have a drink and shop local offerings while the kids sit on Santa’s lap. From hand poured scented candles, to Scottish woven scarves, and locally made gin- you’ll find something for everyone in the family.

http://www.welcometofife.com/event/the-balgove-night-market-1481673600
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Started my Xmas programme of events in Edinburgh last week - so many things to do!  

So far I've watched Five Guys named Moe at Festival Square Theatre which was lots of fun - loved the circular stage set up, Moe songs and the Conga to the interval!  

Also visited the East Princes Street Gardens European Christmas Markets - some lovely jewellery and a wine bottle holder purchased for pressies - packed full of people and can't believe how much they fit into the area - really wanted a shot on the rides but my friend wasn't keen!  Then down to the Grassmarket for their Saturday market - street food heaven although we didn't partake - went to Viva Mexico on Cockburn Street instead which was awesome (especially the pitcher of Margarita!).  

This week's event the Street Lights on George Street with the Blazin' Fiddles as accompaniment - can't wait!