Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Samhuinn Fire Festival, an alternative Halloween

VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited October 2016 in Events and festivals
For anyone in Edinburgh this Halloween, a great alternative to ghosties and ghoulies is the spectacular Samhuinn Fire Festival. I'm not going to pretend I know how to pronounce this yearly event - whenever I try, I sound like Michael Jackson. Anyway, it is a wonderful experience of a more traditional way of marking the transition from summer to winter and lifting the veil between our world and the spirit world on All Hallow's Eve :o .

Expect fire, street performances and Celtic goddesses. This year's event commences at the top of the Royal Mile at 9pm on 31st of October with a procession down the Royal Mile to West Parliament Square. You do not have to buy a ticket but, as this is an entirely self-funded event, donations are encouraged by the bucketeers that you will see milling around. It is a relatively family-friendly event and not too scary.  :)

Further details here: https://beltane.org/samhuinn-fire-festival-2016/

Perhaps I'll see you there...

For more Halloween events around Scotland:
https://www.visitscotland.com/blog/scotland/halloween-events-scotland/

By the way, how do you pronounce it?

Are there any 'alternative' Halloween events and traditions that you know of around Scotland?