Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Taking the Jacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig

EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

Where do you suppose the best railway journey in the world is located ?  Through the Alps in Switzerland ?  Across the Canadian Rockies ?  From Moscow to Siberia ?  In fact the West Highland Line from Glasgow to Fort William and on to Mallaig has been voted the world's best in the Wanderlust Travel Awards for the last three years running.

I'd been waiting for the opportunity to take the Jacobite steam train for some years and finally got my chance recently.  You can read more about my trip on my blog.

The Jacobite steam train – aka the ‘Hogwarts Express’ – runs twice daily during the summer months.  The engine pulls 1950s British Railways Mark 1 carriages so you really get a good sense of what train travel was like in the days of steam.  Deservedly, it's a big attraction for tourists and locals alike.  The journey takes in some spectacular views of the mountains, lochs and white sand beaches of Morar, with the islands of Eigg, Rum, Muck and Canna beyond.

The steam train puffed along at a decent rate in between stations, hooting its whistle every so often.  The line twists in among the mountains, cutting through tunnels occasionally then with the views opening out on to lochs on both sides of the track.  Those Victorian engineers must have been really skilled to have found a suitable route.

The outward journey (from Fort William to Mallaig) stops at Glenfinnan Station for 20 minutes, time enough for people to get out and stretch their legs.  However on the return journey there’s just a few minutes’ pause while the engine lets off steam (literally !).  It’s then just a short distance to the most famous landmark on the line, the 21-arched Glenfinnan Viaduct which overlooks Loch Shiel and the Jacobite monument.  The train doubled as the Hogwarts Express in the ‘Harry Potter’ films and was filmed crossing the famous curved viaduct.  This is also the prime place to take photos, looking in front to the engine or to the carriages behind.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't at its best the day I took the trip - my nephew and I were returning from a cycling tour around Mull and Ardnamurchan - but we had a fantastic time anyway. 

Highly recommended !

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thank you for sharing your experience @Ewan . It's great to get a first-hand insight into the journey. I didn't know there was a wee museum and that you could stop there awhile. I will have to do the steam train one day. It gets very popular so it's always best to book in advance and plan ahead.
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Yes @VisitScotlandJulie, we were there in late August and the train was pretty much full - and most were tourists.  The disadvantage with booking ahead of course is that you just have to accept whatever weather is coming off the Atlantic that day ...

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• MichaelGMichaelG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great post @Ewan. Your photos are brilliant. The Jacobite Steam train from Fort William to Mallaig has been something I've been thinking about doing for quite a while. The scenery looks stunning!

Definitely going to jump aboard next summer.  :)

• How much does it cost?
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Pretty good value for 35 GBP day return (standard class) & 59 GBP (first class). Fares & times here

Note that you can take the exact same journey with a different timing for 14.30 GBP for an off-peak day return on a ScotRail train between Fort William & Mallaig. The scenery is the same but the train is less fancier. :smiley:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)