Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best itinerary to see Edinburgh in limited time..

Hi,

I am Rajendran and I am from India.   I am planning to visit Scotland in April 2017 along with family.  Photography is a serious hobby for me and Scotland is such a beautiful country with unlimited opportunity for photography. 

We are planning to visit Edinburgh and then go to the Highlands.  We will be having around 2 days in Edinburgh.  Based on some research, I have identified some places for photography.  We are not part of any conducted tour and are doing the trip ourselves. We will be having cars are our disposal.  The places identified by me are as under:

1. The Edinburgh Castle

2. Water of Leith Walkway

3. Calton Hill – Preferably early morning or in the evening.

4. The National Monument

5. The Vennel

6. The Bridges

7. The Crags and the Radical Road

8. The Meadows

9. The Royal Mile

10. Holyrood Park

11. Duggingston

12. Victoria Street and Grass Market

13. Cramond

14. Surroundings of the Scottish National Art Gallery of Modern Art

15. Princess Street Gardens

16. Arthurs Seat / Salisbury Crags

17. Scott Monument, Balmoral clock, and the North Bridge

18. Newhaven Harbor

19. Cammo Tower

What I need to know is what is the best itinerary to cover all these ( if possible) places in the limited time available.

Thanks in advance. 

Regards

Rajendran 

Answers

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Rajendran
    A lot of the places you mention are in the City Centre and you can combine them together such as Calton Hill and the National Monument (on Calton Hill). Arthur's Seat is in Holyrood Park. The Grassmarket, Victoria Street and the Vennel are in the same area too. There is access to the National Gallery of Modern Art from the Water of Leith and you can walk through Dean village down to Stockbridge - a very nice part of the walk. The places that are further away are: Duddingston, Cramond, Newhaven - they are a bus distance away. Cammo tower on the other hand will be quite hard to reach if you don't have a car. Please come in to the iCentre on Princes Street where staff will be happy to provide a map and directions and help you plan your journey.
  • RajendranRajendran Member
    Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. You have explained things very clearly. Yes.. we do have car at our disposal.  So Duddingstorn, Cramond, Newhaven and Cammo tower should not be an issue. I have already downloaded a map of Edinburgh city to familiarize myself with the places.. Will definitely visit the iCenter once we are there.  Thanks once again for the help.  I am feeling very excited about this trip. :smile:
  • VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Rajendran, you can also use some helpful itineraries that could be useful when it comes to planning how you'll be spending your time in Edinburgh https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/itineraries/.

Have an amazing trip, and be sure to share your pictures with us !  :) 

• RajanRajan Member ✭✭
    Hi,

We have now finalized our plans for Scotland visit in April. We  are reaching Edinburgh by around 12 PM on 9th April and will leave on 11th morning. We are staying in Heriot Street. Would like to know what will be the best possible plans to visit the following ( at least the ones marked Must) on the above days ? We have half day on 9th and full day on 10th. 

The places are as under:

1. The Edinburgh Castle - Must

2. Water of Leith Walkway - Must

3. Calton Hill – Preferably early morning or in the evening. - Must

4. The National Monument - Must

5. The Vennel- Must

6. The Bridges - If possible

7. The Crags and the Radical Road

8. The Meadows - Must

9. The Royal Mile - Must

10. Holyrood Park - Must

11. Duggingston