Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top man-made wonders in Scotland - what's your favourite?

VisitScotlandAldonaVisitScotlandAldona Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited October 2016 in Understanding Scotland

Yesterday (11th October) the Queensferry Crossing set a new world record as the largest freestanding balanced cantilever bridge in the world - whoop, whoop! - but Scotland is home to lots of striking and unique architecture. 

What's your favourite building or construction in Scotland?

For me it's the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum in Glasgow. The building's architecture combines a variety of styles and its design is simply fascinating! You'll probably spend as much time viewing the building and its architectural details and sculpture as exploring the collections displayed within it!

Oh, and one more - the Marischal College in Aberdeen. It's the world’s second largest granite building and it's simply stunning to look at!

I would like to know what your favourite building/s or construction/s in Scotland is/are?  :)

‘I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list’ - Susan Sontag

Comments

• j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    I don't think I could pick a favorite.  I have so many.  I do love the old architecture in Glasgow city and I was particularly in awe when I visited Glasgow Cathedral for the first time.  
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.wordpress.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    The Kelpies in Falkirk have that wow factor!

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Skara Brae village at Orkney Islands. To have constructed such architectural gems 5000 years ago is simply brilliant.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • ScottishVisitorScottishVisitor Member ✭✭
    Scathach has already mentioned Dunottar (my favourite ruin!), so I'll go with Brechin Cathedral.  Sturdily built but wonderfully wonky inside, ancient and full of history - and fabulous acoustics.  It's a great place to sing or listen to music.  Plus it has a round tower next to it, one of just two remaining in Scotland.
    Charlotte Fleming
    I blog about quirky bits of Scotland and especially my home county of Angus at www.scottishvisitor.co.uk
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I visited the Falkirk Wheel yesterday and found it to be one of the top man-made wonders in Scotland. A truely fascinating place to visit. Can't wait for my return visit.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Easily the Forth Bridge :) I can't get enough of it! 

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Skara Brae (for its preserved carvings, narrow passageways, and especially the lovely carved stone balls found there, astounding in their simultaneous simplicity and intricacy)

The Ness of Brodgar (for its perfect straight walls, built with such care and skill, and the grandiosity of its structures)

St Magnus Cathedral (it's a bright red cathedral built by Vikings, an iconic landmark for Orkney)

Edinburgh Castle (for all its tourist shops, it still looks imposing and even threatening up there on Castle Rock)

Dunrobin Castle (once you forget the former owners, that is)
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    As an Angus lass I have to put forward Bell Rock Lighthouse as my favourite. Built on a submerged reef 11 miles offshore, the story of its construction (during low tide only) is a remarkable tale of engineering  ingenuity and bravery, and it is still doing its job 200 years on.  I love the fact that one horse, Bassey, moved every one of the 2500 blocks of stone  required from the stonemason's yard to the harbour.
    Bell Rock Lighthousejpg
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    It's been built more recently than a lot of these buildings, but the SSE Hydro in Glasgow is a spectacular building!  Beautiful when lit up at night!