Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Write a spooky Scottish story

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
edited December 2016 in Understanding Scotland

You can’t have a country filled with castles, famous legends and moody lochs (plus whisky!) without the odd spooky story. 

Our historic buildings, legendary characters and eerie landscapes are the perfect ingredients for a mysterious story – which may be truth or myth. Crathes Castle has the Green Lady, Edinburgh Castle has a headless drummer and of course, Loch Ness has its monster.

Many of these tales have been whispered into ears for hundreds of years. But there’s always space for a new spooky story!

So, over to you. Write us your best spooky Scottish story in 50 words or less and see if you can terrify our community members the most!

Make sure to like your favourite too, so we can see who’s the spookiest Scotland-lover of all!

(A performance of Macbeth at Glamis Castle, Angus)

Comments

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • SimomSimom Member
    My grandmother was born in Stirling, but the family moved to Dumfries when she was quite young. Walking through Dumfries one day with her mother, they were passing a building where there was a green door. My gran stopped her mother and asked her what was on the other side of the door. "Nothing that concerns you!" was her reply "Why are you asking?" My grandmother  said that she knew that they would be going through that door soon. Her mother  quickly pulled her away and hurried on.  The door led into the local mortuary. A short time later my great grandmother received news that her sister had been killed by a run away horse and she was required to identify her body. As there was no one to look after my Grandmother she had to be taken along through that same door!
     She said that she was the seventh child of a seventh child and that was apparently the first time that she knew she had some kind of gift
  • finmcdfinmcd Member

Cold gusts nipped at my neck. Water rippled toward my bare feet at shoreline. The small wave wrapped my ankle in a chilly embrace. Ripples increased and the frigid water climbed up my legs. In the centre of the loch, the water broke, and flaring black nostrils appeared. 

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    IThey bound her in the black chamber of the cairn, ready to spirit her away for a wife.  But the wintry sun sunk through the sky, shooting its beams through the tunnel.  The trows burned away like matches and dissolved into the mist.

She was left there, alone in the dying light, sucked away by the sun.  She tried to free herself, but clattered onto the scorched ground.  Her brain screamed silently.  Was anyone there?  All was silent, save for the fizzing loch.  Then, she saw too late that, approaching her in the black, were pairs of flaming red eyes...

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Hallowe'en's on the way!  So I thought about rebooting this thread.  This is based on the ghostly girl of Muchalls Castle:

Razorbills barked in the moonlight.  She turned and ran, ran away from the ghostly silence that pounded her ears, ran down the tunnel to the sea.  Her shoes slid on the slippery stones, and she sunk, down, down into the depths below.  The girl silently screamed, screamed for an eternity.