Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland's best beers

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
Scotland has been celebrating its best beer, with breweries across the country sharing the spoils at the inaugural Scottish Beer Awards.

Winners included Tempest Brewing Co in the Scottish Borders, BrewDog from Ellon, Fallen near Stirling and Orkney Brewery.

But who would you crown Scotland's best beer? 

(The Tasting Hall at Orkney Brewery)

A brewery trip is not just about trying a sample - you can see how its made and what food to pair your beer with. What's been your best beer experience on a brewery tour?

You can find out more about Scotland's beers and breweries too.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Scotland's single best beer (bottled) is Ola Dubh 18 by Harviestoun Brewery. I also had a chance to try the Ola Dubh 30 and it's mind-blowing.

I do agree with the rankings that Tempest is the best brewery across the board. Haven't been to the Tweedbank brewery yet but have been to the their taproom & restaurant, The Cobbles, in Kelso, Scottish Borders. Fantastic beer & food experience.

The best part of enjoying beer in Scotland is taking in the scenery :smile: Here's an Isle of Skye beer being enjoyed on Isle of Harris.

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    I would imagine any beer can be described as 'Mind Blowing' if one consumes enough in each sitting... ;)
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    We enjoyed Isle of Arran Blonde and Sunset premium beer while staying on Arran. Don't know if it's crown Scotland's best beer but it was tasty and refreshing! 

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
  • Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
    I've absolutely fallen in love with Belhaven Best beer. So smooth...like a Kilkenny but better!

Cheers!
    Andrew.
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Oh man! This needs to be answered with several friends at one of the many beer festivals throughout the land. The Stonehaven beer happening has loads from Scotland and England and unusually includes hand pulled cask beers and pressurised keg beers. Which makes for a really diverse tasting opportunity which you don't normally get at a CAMRA type beer festival. 

Along with driving and whisky. Beer is a pet subject! As for best....
    whatever is being brewed locally is a good start, so if you're in Aberdeenshire look for deeside, burnside, park brew (angus really but worth a mention.), fierce beers and obviously brew dog (But I find them contrived). Of course there's a few more but, it pays to go into local shops and proper pubs to ask about local beers. 

P.S. It's a hard job to beat Lia Fail from Perthshire's Inveralmond brewery. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
    @Scathach - personally I prefer CASC in the old merchant quarter - they also have a large selection of whisky for onsite consumption and offsite sales. 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
    There is a new(ish) brewery on Orkney Islands that has been making waves called Swannay Brewery. High ABV % on average and taste really good IMHO. Some shops in Glasgow & Edinburgh stock them (Oddbins, etc). I've enjoyed their version of all 4 of my favourite types (IPA, Stout, Porter, Barley wine). Highly recommended.

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    When I was a student in Edinburgh many moons ago I used to enjoy drinking Greenmantle beer in the Greenmantle pub on West Cross Causeway (no relationship apparently  :) ) and I still have a soft spot for it.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    My favourite brewery is The Cairngorm Brewery in Aviemore. They have loads of different bottled beers including my favourite: Autumn Nuts, this beer helps support Saving Scotlands Red Squirrels

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'd like to cast a vote for the Joker IPA by Williams Bros Brewing Co as my current favourite beer in Scotland!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
    The Williams Bro's do make a good beer... Eden Mill Breweries Seggie Porter is a firm favourite these days too

Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
    edited February 27
    On re-reading the thread, one very famous beer is conspicuous by its absence. I am talking of course of Edinburgh's very own Innis & Gunn which has now taken over another favourite brewery of mine, Inveralmond Brewery in Perthshire.

The Beer Kitchen on Lothian Road, Edinburgh is the mecca for I&G lovers. For those who haven't tried it, this is barrel aged beer mostly. Very strong yet scrummy. Available at Tesco even down south in England!

yesh, itsh good (and you speak like that after 2 of them!) Goes well with a light speyside dram ;-) 
    Bespoke tours.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • davejnkntwndavejnkntwn Member
    Belhaven Best