Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

BEST WAY TO SEE THE MILKY WAY AND NORTHERN LIGHTS

Hello, 

Visiting Scotland in 2 weeks time, what's the best way to see the milky way and northern lights? do you know of any tours?

Comments

• seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You could chat with Nature Scotland (the site is telling me I can't post a link but Google them and you'll find it) on the Isle of Mull. They run Astrophotography trips on the island which also has a high potential to see the Northern Lights if the conditions are right. 

You should also get your skates on with that viewing option as the Milky Way is not very visible between the months of November and March, that's not just for Scotland but for our complete Northern Hemisphere in general. 
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    There is a helpful website called AuroraWatch UK which monitors the geomagnetic activity and can therefore forecast the most auspicious times for seeing the Northern Lights. Of course you also need a clear night for it - good luck!
  • thank you! 
  • by the way, do you know how can we get to isle of mull if we are coming from London? is it via train or do we need to fly by plane?
  • seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    To save time I'd look at flying up to Glasgow and make your way from there. During the Summer months there's a Coach that runs once a day to Oban from where you can get a ferry to the Island. Not sure when that stops so from Glasgow the best bet would be a train from the Glasgow Queens Street station.

Driving from London on the M6 is about a 10 to 12hr trip to Glasgow, roughly 540mi.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @TRAVEL2016. Once you arrive in Glasgow, either by plane or train, you should make your way to Buchanan Bus station. Here there is a bus that departs 3 times each day that will take you to Oban. I have included a link to their winter timetable; CityLink. Once you have arrived in Oban you can then take a Caledonian McBrayne ferry across to the Isle of Mull where you will disembark at Craignure. From Craignure there is public transport which will take you around the island. Here are a couple of links to the bus routes and times on the Isle of Mull. Craignure-Fionnphort and Craignure-Tobermory

I hope this information will help you find your way around! Good look with spotting the Milky Way and the Northern Lights, they are a truly spectacular sight.  :)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @TRAVEL2016 If you choose to fly to Glasgow I would suggest hiring a car from there and driving up to Oban. This way you will have the freedom to stop when you like for photos and to admire the views - this will happen ALOT! 
    If you chose another form of transport to get you to the island then I would suggest that you maybe book a tour bus to show you around. There are plenty to choose from. 
    To make you aware if you get the Oban-Craignure ferry you will need to have transport (unless you are camping or staying in the Bunkhouse at Craignure) to take you further afield as its not a town. 

Mull is a wonderful island with so much to offer it would be a shame to get there and not get to see and do anything. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We used AuroraWatch to monitor the liklihood of Northern Lights last week in Harris and it was a good guide and we did manage to see some faint glimmers.  It made it a lot more easy to plan when and where to go out looking though and will definitely use this again - a great excuse to go back to Harris!

• ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    Aurora Watch UK has announced that tonight might be a good night to see Northern Lights in Scotland. Cameras at the ready....
    be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com