Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Just one place....

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
If you could only visit one place in Scotland, where would you go and why?

Do you love the rugged mountain scenery or do you prefer walking along a sandy beach with the breeze blowing in your face?

Remember, you can only choose one place...it's difficult!!  :)

Comments

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    So many factors would swing it one way over another.....but there's always going to be something about hiking in Glen Coe :-)
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • [Deleted Content]
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    It has to be Torridon. Gilbert has been visiting this area since the 1970s!
    As he lyrically describes it: " it’s all mountain views…Ben Eighe with quartz screes like snow; Liathach like an upturned boat hull; Beinn Alligin with that gash across its stony face – the great stone-shoot of Alligin where the wind, I remember the day I climbed it, funnels up with a moan like an organ-pipe...."

Read more about Torridon.

The mountains Liathach (left of centre) and the western end of Beinn Eighe from Loch Clair in Glen Torridon.
    Spot the pale quartzite top of Beinn Eighe.

Beinn Alligin looking across Loch Torridon

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @visitscotlandangela sorry, I can't pick one place ... it's too difficult!

I've not seen nearly enough of Scotland yet. I love woodland walks, lochs, our rocky and sandy coastline and our strong powerful mountains high in the clouds. I do prefer remote places to the cities and towns though. My one place IS Scotland  <3  :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • KatKat Member ✭✭
    l can't choose one. It's impossible. Maybe if it was my favourite place to visit in Scotland each season...
  • j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    Iona because it is so peaceful, the abbey is amazing, the water is so clear and I find it hard to leave.  It is tough to pick just one place though. :smile:
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I know I asked the question but I too am having trouble just picking one place!!  :D

At this time of year (Autumn) I think that Glencoe is one of my favorite places to visit in Scotland.  The journey from Loch Lomond to Glencoe is just stunning, especially arriving in Glencoe just before sunset!  Last year I stopped in a car park just as the glen turned golden...it was just beautiful.  
  • PhilipOzPhilipOz Member ✭✭
    am hopeful of visiting there in 2017
  • PhilipOzPhilipOz Member ✭✭
    oops! that is.....Glencoe. :-) family ancestors are from there - McIntyre's
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    No way could I name just one!  How about top 5?
    Glencoe
    Isle of Iona
    Orkneys
    Kilmartin Glen
    Glasgow
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh... it has everything. Hills, palaces, castles and whisky! Food, bars, pubs and hotels.
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    It would have to be Perthshire...a stunning county of vast contrasts from the rolling farmland of Strathearn to the forests of Dunkeld and Aberfeldy and the mountains to the North.  
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    I think a lot of people might say Isle of Arran?

I was really impressed with it when I visited for the first time - easy to get to whilst still feeling remote; everything you need in terms of towns but still not at all urban and something for everyone - whether you are a nature lover/culture vulture/history buff/whisky seeker or a family.

Many say that it truely is "Scotland in Minature"  I like it as much as Skye and it seems much less internationally know.

http://www.visitarran.com/arran-info
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There is no doubt that Isle of Skye is the best part of Scotland!  <3 

7 places which you may love to visit on Isle of Skye

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    A little cliched perhaps but the one place would be the whole of Scotland. I have so many favourite places I couldn't narrow it down to just one. Skara Brae, Stirling Castle, Dunfermline Palace, Loch Ness... how can you pick just one?
  • Angus: it has mountains, wide-open farmland, woods and sea; Picts, Brechin Cathedral, Glamis Castle and Arbroath Abbey for history; Davidson (of Harley Davidson fame) for fun; Lunan Bay for surfing and dog walking; and the Glens for hill-walking. A little bit of everything!
    Charlotte Fleming
    I blog about quirky bits of Scotland and especially my home county of Angus at www.scottishvisitor.co.uk
  • Torridon Estate, combination of the varied roads scenery and great walks. 
  • miquemique Member
    Isle of Mull - simply because that's where generations of my ancestors were from and I may as well start at the beginning.  I'm a newbie on here and I would greatly appreciate making friends w/people who would like to make suggestions of the Best of Scotland.  I'm interested in crumbling castles, known haunted locales, Pub Crawling, little out of the way places.  I have interest in cities only for their historial and architectural value.  Anyone want to take me no?
  • Hi @mique ,
    Love all the same things! I'm an even newer newbie on here but I'd be happy to take you on :) 
    That's if you don't mind an Aussie showing a Yank around ! (some might say blind leading the blind!)
    But I can tell you about all the places I've been to, the history behind it, places stayed at, how to get there, best tours to take, etc.
    May I first ask, when are you going? and how are you planning to get around? are you going to hire a car?
    And I should be up-front by telling you.... I haven't been to the Isle of Mull.
    Cheers

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    You could basically walk out of your pub crawl and stumble upon a crumbling castle up here in Aberdeenshire - there's 300 or so castles in this area! 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    PhilipOz says the MacIntyre Clan are from Glen Coe. Think that is a misunderstanding or a miss-spelling. The MacIntyre lands were in Glen Noe at the foot of Ben Cruachan, and the mountain is worth a visit for the hydro electric plant built into it. 
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    I would pick Glencoe and stay at the Clachaig Inn there.... hands down it would be natural beauty as my pick