Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Train through Scotland

My boyfriend and I are going to Scotland in the middle of october. We were planning on renting a car, but we're only 19 years old... We are no thining of taking the train. We will both be arriving and departing from Edinburg and we have 10 days in Scotland. We would like to see the Highlands and the Isle of Sky and we love outdoor activity. Could you please help us make a route?
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Agnesrm
    As you probably discovered it is impossible to hire a car when you are so young - I don't know of any companies that will rent cars to under 23's. You mention trains as an alternative, have you had a look at the different Rail Passes? A cheaper option is to buy an Explorer Pass from Scottish Citylink. This is a coach network which serves many popular destinations including the Highlands and Skye and the 5 day pass might work out well for you as you have 10 days to use it. You could work out a route going clockwise or anticlockwise depending on the most important places for you to visit - check out VisitScotland's Skye and Fort William itinerary. You will probably also want to see Loch Ness and Inverness and maybe further North? There is a bus service to Ullapool with Citylink if you have time to do this. It's the crossing point to go to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. From Inverness you can come back down the A9 and visit places like Aviemore (Cairngorms National Park), Pitlochry and Perth. The pass gives you the freedom to make as many stops as you like. You can check the timetables on the website.
    I hope you have a fantastic time in Scotland - please pop into any iCentre for expert advice 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Agnesrm,

We have a 7 day route based on public transport (trains, buses & ferries) that you can find in our signature. It covers Edinburgh - Glencoe - Loch Ness - Eilean Donan Castle - Skye - Mull - Edinburgh & has suggested transportation timings that have worked well for us (we've taken 2 trips using this route).

Based on your interests, we'd also recommend you consider visiting Isle of Arran. It is an outdoors paradise with walks catering to all abilities (Goatfell & Glen Sannox are our personal favourites). It's also relatively easy to get to (Glasgow Central - Ardrossan Harbour by train & a ferry to Brodick). You can buy a Rail+Sail ticket from the ScotRail website.

Feel free to ask us any questions you may have, we'd love to help you plan a route. Enjoy your trip to Scotland :smile:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• AgnesrmAgnesrm Member
    @Horizons that sounds great! Sorry for asking, but how do I find this route? 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Agnesrm Just realized that my profile's "signature" is not visible on mobile. If you see this thread on a laptop or a desktop computer, it is linked below the comment as "Best of Scotland in 1 Week (by public transport)". I cannot submit a link yet as I'm a new member.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)