Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Day trips from Inverness.

Hi all,
Kyle line train journey - can we get on/get off at stations and which would be a good stop?
Any other day trip suggestions from Inverness?
Sorry kept it short, hopefully sweet!
Thank you.

Answers

• XmasgirlXmasgirl Member ✭✭
    @Nirjhar

The Scotrail website gives the two great suggestions of stopping off at Plockton and Attadale - see :
    https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotland-by-rail/great-scenic-rail-journeys/kyle-line-lochalsh-inverness

Both locations are beautiful - Attadale with the lovely gardens, and Plockton really is a picture postcard pretty little village (see pic below). 

As to other day trips from Inverness there are loads but some suggestions would be :

1. Fort George - impressive military fortress with stunning views over the Moray Firth
    2. Cawdor Castle - castle with lovely gardens and of course links to the famous Scots King Macbeth (you may find out if you visit just how true the Shakespeare version of the story is!)
    3. Loch Ness - a bit of Nessie spotting, and of course you can take a cruise out on the Loch itself - very atmospheric place
    4. Culloden - site of the last battle to be fought on British soil. Again very atmospheric. 
    Hope that helps!
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I agree, Plockton is a great wee place with lots of palm trees!... I went there on my way back from Skye last week and I'm glad we made the detour (as you can see from the picture above)! Not as lucky with the weather though - cloudy but dry, that's the main thing!  :)