Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

City walks in Edinburgh?

We always hear that walking is the best way to really explore a city, and best of all it that it's FREE! 

This is certainly true of Edinburgh where I've been able to really get to know the city simply by walking around, discovering some of its loveliest areas such as:

- walking down the famous Royal Mile and exploring the ancient 'closes' - tiny little alleyways - and history all over the place
- walking to the top of Arthur's Seat, the extinct volcano at the heart of the city - not as strenuous a climb as you might think, and the views are amazing
- walking through the Dean Village - Edinburgh is almost like a series of villages, and the Dean Village near the city centre, is one of the nicest. Really quirky and full of interesting old buildings which were apparently homes built for the mill workers when milling was the main industry in this area back in the 19th Century. 

Has anybody got any other suggestions for great city centre walks?

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    If you don't have the time or the stamina to climb Arthur's Seat, a brisk walk to the top of the Salisbury Crags is well worth the effort. You still get the panoramic views en route but from a very interesting perspective. You better have your camera with you at sunset time.

Also a short hike up to Calton Hill to enjoy the view from a park bench or explore the paths and monuments is very good for recharging the batteries - minimum effort, maximum reward.

I like a walk along the Water of Leith from the Royal Botanic Garden to the National Gallery of Modern Art passing through Stockbridge and Dean Village. 

• XmasgirlXmasgirl Member ✭✭
    Many thanks - the Salisbury Crags is a great suggestion - think I'll try that next time!
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    A walk around Blackford Pond followed by climbing Blackford Hill is a favourite of mine - the views from the top are amazing, you get a great view of the city and Arthurs Seat. Only a few minutes from Morningside too!
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I was in Edinburgh at the weekend for the Scotcon Event and also had Saturday to explore some of Edinburgh. I'm not usually much of a city person, but I really loved it and will be back to see more.

My sister and I walked up to Arthur's Seat. I had been before so this was a new challenge for my sister as she has asthma. With a few short breaks I'm pleased to say we got to the top. It's a steep but short walk and worth it for the views over Edinburgh. It's a very popular route and was busy.

Some of my photos came out quite dark ... sorry if they are dark on your screen.

Walk to Arthur's Seat - the redcoats invaded lol - they were from Argentina though :)

The Royal Mile - with living statue

The castle - incorporating a red van ...

Scott Monument on Princes Street - Thunderbirds are go ...

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I did a free Harry Potter walking tour last year. It was brilliant!
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram