Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First Visit To Scotland Recommendations

Hi

My partner and I (along with our dog) are visiting Scotland for the first time next month and we are staying on their Ayrshire coast and would like to know what places people recommend we should go to.  We particularly enjoy the coast and anywhere with good scenery.

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    How about the Ayrshire coast cycle way, part of the National Route 7, running between Irvine and Ayr? You humans could enjoy the coastal views over to Isle of Arran and your dog will feel the wind through its fur as it bounds along beside you, happy and free.  :)
  • ajp2302ajp2302 Member
    Thanks Julie
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Hi @ajp2302 :)

I agree with @VisitScotlandJulie about the cycle route. I've cycled from Prestwick to Irvine recently and loved it. It's not just for cyclists, walkers too. Ayrshire Coastal Path covers a lot of miles, so some of this walk should be close to where you are staying.

Culzean Castle in South Ayrshire is stunning. The castle sits right on the coast with views across to Ailsa Craig and Arran. Lovely woodland walks, beaches, one rocky, two are sandy and rocky. If you're not a member of the National Trust for Scotland you will need to pay to get in though. You won't get to see everything in one day, the grounds are massive!

Dunure Castle ruin in South Ayrshire is also so beautiful sitting on the coastline with walks along the coast. It's cheaper to get in here. I can't remember off hand, it's been a while since I visited, but possibly just a few pounds to park for the day.

The Isle of Arran, this is a beautiful island to visit. It's my favourite place. You can catch the ferry from Ardrossan, North Ayrshire. Check out the webcams! Of course, when it's cloudy you don't see much lol.

Here is a link to the timetable and fares (up to 23 October 2016). If you don't want to spend the extra money taking your car across you can park at the ferry terminal and sail as foot and 'paw' passengers. I think it's about £3 a day to park. I'd recommend getting an early ferry so you can spend more time on the island. If you like woodland walks a great short walk on Arran (6km) I can recommend is Glenashdale Falls and Giants' Graves in Whiting Bay. The link goes to my blog. You'd need to get the bus from Brodick to Whiting Bay.

There's so much more on our Ayrshire Coast though and it depends if you want to walk where you are staying or drive to a location.

I hope you have a lovely holiday in Scotland!
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • ajp2302ajp2302 Member
    Thanks DMWScotland