Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Wild or Tame Driving?

How is the general temperament of the drivers in Scotland? This would make or break my car-hire plans.  I'm used to driving on the right side of the road, whereas in the UK people drive on the left. 
I will be on an equestrian holiday from the 13th to the 17th of September, and the farms I'm visiting are off in the country side.  I'm guessing the roads would be calm -- but I could be wrong.

It is probably not wise to generalize, but I'd like to know if it would be too risky to rent a car and drive on the side of the road which I'm not used to.  

Thank you!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @NQWASINDC!  I understand how the thought of driving on the opposite side of the road can be really daunting.  You can find some useful information about driving in Scotland here.  If you decide to rent a car, a navigation system may be useful in providing directions, especially on approach to a roundabout.

I have never driven on the opposite side of the road myself, but I wounder if any of our other community members could share their experiences?
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @NQWASINDC
    Being French and living in Edinburgh, I am used to driving both on the right and the left hand side of the road. I would say it is usually quite easy to switch between them, especially if you are following the traffic. If you get an automatic car, you won't have to worry about changing gears with your left hand. Where it can be tricky is if you are on a very quiet country road with no traffic then you can be on the wrong side without realising it! You should give it a try though, drivers in Scotland are generally well behaved.