Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Calling all thrill-seekers! Scotland's most adrenaline-enducing experiences

VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
What's the most exciting activity that you can try in Scotland? Where can you get the best thrills?

I think canyoning is next on my bucket list!

In the Adrenaline Junkies Guide to Scotland you might find something you never even knew existed (human catapult, anyone?)

Have you tried any exciting outdoor activities in Scotland which has given you butterflies in your tummy and a 'can I really do it!?' moment?

Comments

• HecyHecy Member ✭✭
    Bungie jumping at killiecrankie is a must for thrill seekers! White water rafting on the river Findhorn is not to be misssed either!
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Hecy I agree about White water rafting on the river Findhorn, we did it with a company called Ace Adventures a few years ago! What a thrill, we even got to do a bit of cliff jumping! 

We also did rafting on the River Garry near Fort William with a company Vertical Descents, which was fantastic, even though I did fall in!  :D
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    How about a boat trip to Staffa during a strong Atlantic sea swell?!  Exhilarating and adrenaline inducing. 

For Land lubbers there's also Go Ape for a tree top adventure. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    VisitScotlandAmyR said:  "In the Adrenaline Junkies Guide to Scotland you might find something you never even knew existed (human catapult, anyone?)"
    This guide is amazing!! There are so many things I would love to try but I'm a big wimp when it comes to water!! :blush:  I have been brave enough to try lots of the land based activities though!  Here are my top three adventures:

1) Mountain biking in the Mabie Forest in Dumfries and Galloway - I hadn't really done much off-road mountain biking so decided to take the easy route!  It was so much fun,but be prepared to get muddy!!  It's also one of the 7stanes mountain biking centres!
    2) Climbing at the Glasgow Climbing Centre - This climbing centre is in an old church and the first time I climbed up the wall to the top I was terrified when I looked back down to where I started! You don't need to be an expert climber and it's really good fun!
    3) Go Ape! in Aberfoyle - this tree top adventure really gets your heart beating!  Starting off with a zip slide across a waterfall, the course is full of wobbly bridges, moving obstacles and some quite scary jumps but with a bit of courage you can make it to the end!!  There are also some 'chicken runs' if you don't feel brave enough to do the Tarzan Jump (like myself)!  

The Segway Safari at Loch Lomond was also an amazing experience!  I would love to try land yachting and zorbing!  Has anyone tried these activities?
  • seafari1seafari1 Member ✭✭
    It has to be the Corryvreckan Whirlpools ! 3rd largest in the world and great fun !
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

A great discussion thread !

I've tried quite a few - land yachting, gliding, abseiling down the In Pin, ice climbing - all of which I'd heartily recommend if you're not a big feartie. 

Bungy jumping at Killiecrankie also got my heart racing but now my niece (who bungied with me) has got her own back and given me a voucher for a night-time bungy at Killiecrankie - apparently the only place in Europe you can do this.  I do like thrills but this is getting pretty much to the edge of my comfort zone !!

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Tried the Knockhill Aston Martin experience a couple of weeks ago - great fun thrashing that car round the track, just wanted more!  
  • MichaelGMichaelG Member ✭✭
    Great thread! Mountain Biking at Glentress in the Borders is worth a go. Lots of great trails for different levels of ability. Bungy jumping at Killiecrankie is now on the bucket list!
  • 16ft swell coming in this week with a crisp offshore wind! dropping in on one of those waves will get the blood pumping!  a good thing to watch if you're on your way round the NC500!! check out Thurso at the harbour.
    www.secrethighlands.com
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I've just seen a good article in The Scotsman that has some great ideas for adrenaline junkies! Sailing through the Corryvreckan whirlpool sounds like fun  :) 
  • KateEventsKateEvents Member
    The Cystic Fibrosis Trust are offering thrill seekers the chance to abseil the Forth Road Bridge for only £30 registration fee (with a pledge to raise £145). It takes place on Sunday May 28th - more details can be found on the Cystic Fibrosis Trust website (wont let me post the link!)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    This year as part of our Forty things at 40 list my other half has abseiled off of the Forth Bridge (for charity) and recently had a go at the new bungee "Highland Swing" at Killicrankie. He loved it! 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube