Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Enchanting Fairy Glens

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 2016 in Scotland's countryside
Scotland has many glens, lochs and woodlands that are associated with fairy folklore.

Doon Hill in Aberfoyle is one of my favorite walks and has a great story to go with it.  Legend has it that the Reverend Robert Kirk, who lived in the town of Aberfoyle, was much loved by his parishioners as he taught him lots of things and helped them in their daily lives.  There were a lot of strange and unexplained occurrences going on in Aberfoyle back in the 1600's, and the villagers believed that they were the work of the Fairies.  Worried about the effect the strange things were having on his parishoners, Reverend Kirk started to investigate and record the goings on.  In 1691 he published his book 'The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, fauns and Fairies'.  Of course, this upset the Fairies as they did not want people knowing what they were up to, so one day when the Reverend was walking up Doon Hill mysteriously died.   The Fairies stole his soul and imprisoned it in the big Scot's Pine at the top of the hill.  

Today, the Fairies seem to be much more friendly and have really made themselves at home on Doon Hill.  There is a fun woodland trail with wooden fairy homes carved into the trees along the way.  At the top of the hill, the old Scots Pine is now known as the wishing tree where visitors leave a wee gift for the Fairies, perhaps to keep them happy!! :D

There's also a glen near Dunoon called Morag's Fairy Glen where the Berry Burn flows through the woodlands.  It sounds lovely although I haven't visited myself.

Whether you believe in fairies or not, I'm sure you will enjoy this magical walk. If you know of any other magical fairy walks in Scotland, or know of any stories, I would love to hear about them!!

Comments