Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best places to eat

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 2016 in Eating and drinking
We've got a lot of restaurants to choose from in Scotland, so if you need help to decide and want a delicious meal and dining experience to remember... check out the new Good Food Guide for 2017. Sounds like there are a lot of fab Scottish restaurants that have made the grade!

Check out our tips on where to eat and drink in Scotland too!

What's your favourite Scottish restaurant and why?

Comments

• IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    In February this year my husband and I decided to experience travelling in Winter on The West Highland Railway to Fort William, What can I say WOW ! We spent two days in Fort William and found the amazing restaurant called the Crannog . The seafood was superb in actual fact it was difficult to choose from such a good menu choice ! Although it was a winters evening we could not fully appreciate the fine views from our window table across Loch Linnhe, in the Summer this would be stunning ! This is a smallish restaurant with a big WOW ! A must to visit if you are in the area . Oh ! The Crannog was mentioned in Good Food Guide for 2017 too.
  • RachelEWoodsRachelEWoods Member ✭✭
    My favorite restaurant has got to be the Old Clubhouse in Gullane, a small village just outside North Berwick in East Lothian. (Sidenote - Gullane has previously been a venue for the Scottish Golf Open!) 

I have been to the Old Clubhouse many times over the years with my family and the food and service has always been excellent quality. There was in fact one time my mother and I had bought sticky pudding to share with two spoons and some of my parent's friends came over to chat. Let's just say my mum didn't get much of the pudding in the end...

The restaurant menu has a big range to choose from in starters, mains, puddings and beverages and also has a really cosy and chilled-out ambiance, decorated wall to wall with lots of interesting golf pictures and memorabilia! 

There is also lot of space outside to have your meal/drinks if you fancy relaxing looking out at the surrounding golf courses and the picturesque East Lothian scenery.  If you are ever in East Lothian for a trip, this is definitely a great place to stop by to sate your appetite.

• JenniEdinburghJenniEdinburgh Member ✭✭
    The best meal I've had in Scotland was a lunch at Greywalls a couple of years ago. The small 5* hotel is 30 minutes drive from Edinburgh. The setting is lovely with the dining room looking out to Muirfield Golf Course. We had the most delicious 3-course lunch. Their passion fruit souffle is still the best dessert I've ever had!  
  • Aren't we so luck in Scotland to have so so many great places to eat - from seafood shacks to cafes and bars to top rated restaurants.  If you are looking for ideas as to where to eat in Scotland we travel Scotland searching out the best places to eat and drink and blog about it at The Boys Eat Scotland.  The blog has lots of ideas and reviews of places we have been.  We are always looking for new places to go so if you have found a hidden Scottish gem - let us know!  
    Donnie
    Your Scottish Tour
    Tour Website: www.yourscottishtour.com
    Food Blog: www.theboyseatscotland.scot
    Twitter: @boyseatscotland
    Instagram: @boyseatscotland
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    IreneG said:
    In February this year my husband and I decided to experience travelling in Winter on The West Highland Railway to Fort William, What can I say WOW ! We spent two days in Fort William and found the amazing restaurant called the Crannog . The seafood was superb in actual fact it was difficult to choose from such a good menu choice ! Although it was a winters evening we could not fully appreciate the fine views from our window table across Loch Linnhe, in the Summer this would be stunning ! This is a smallish restaurant with a big WOW ! A must to visit if you are in the area . Oh ! The Crannog was mentioned in Good Food Guide for 2017 too.
    @IreneG, I agree about the Crannog! We were a few summers ago and loved it, a wee gem!  :)
  • sparkysparky Member ✭✭
    Recently ate at Rollo on Broughton Street in Edinburgh, only opened in June i believe and they appear to have everything spot on. Lighting sets the right mood, staff incredibly friendly and look happy to be there, food delicious (presentation was fabulous and packed a tasty punch) and the wine they recommended went incredibly well with it. We always love the Tower restaurant on Chamber Street too - ambience just right and nice views of the castle too if the haar isn't in but if it is, creates its own kind of mood you only really feel in Edinburgh.

Venturing out of Edinburgh a little we always pop into the Sun Inn in Midlothian when we can. Really good prices for the high quality of food served. Menu is delish and some nice local beers on draft - had a lovely pint of Cross Borders Brew IPA which is brewed along the road. If you are near Dunbar in East Lothian i recommend The Rocks along the coast. Food lovely and staff are great. My father-in-law couldn't decide between two dishes so they recommended they give him half of each, how nice is that?! If in West Lothian and you want to push the boat out a little the Champany Inn near Linlithgow is hands down the best steak i've had in my life. Such a beautiful restaurant too. Tip, do not accept any bread between starter and your main, leave yourself plenty of room in preparation for the huge tasty steak that's about to be put in front of you and enjoy with a selection of lovely reds.
  • I'm a big fan of The Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha, Loch Lomond. It's a lovely place to go for lunch or dinner or even just for a coffee & cake. There's a great little beer garden but it's also really lovely in Autumn/Winter with the log fire! The food is amazing, fresh and local. They even brew their own beer and make their own ice cream! Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area :)   
  • J.MoJ.Mo Member
    The Bothy in Burghead (Morayshire).  The best burgers ever, topped off with a stroll along the stunning beach!
  • If you're looking for a good Chinese restaurant in Edinburgh, the Imperial Palace out the Slateford Road is marvelous for good quality, tasty dishes. Not too pricey either. They have a take away and a supermarket too, so if you want a crack at creating your own, you can. 
  • N3103FN3103F Member
    The Doll's House in St. Andrews. Do not leave without having their sticky toffee pudding!
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I have eaten in lots of different restaurants around Scotland and amoung my favourites are:  The Kitchin Tom Kitchin puts on a fantastic fine dining tasting menu. The Newport Restaurant is a fantastic small restaurant with excellent food. Pura Maison in Crieff is an amazing new restaurant. Jennifer & Stuart are perfect hosts and the food is amazing.
    Best regards
    fishypro