Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Tree top adventures for adrenaline junkies at Go Ape, Peebles

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
Yesterday against my better judgement I headed to Go Ape, Peebles for some tree top adventures.  My husband reluctantly followed.  He told me this wasn't his type of thing, he didn't enjoy this sort of outdoor activity. 

We arrived to a barrage of safety warnings, signed disclaimers, were harnessed up and given a really thorough walk through of how to use all of the safety equipment. It sounded complicated - thankfully in practice  it wasn't!  If you do decide you're too frightened to take part at this stage they'll offer a full refund, no questions asked.  

The course which is set within the beautiful Glentress Forest near Peebles consists of 5 sections which get progressively higher. My Daughter and wee white dug had joined us to watch/take incriminating photos.  Non participants are able to walk round the course.  She like me has a fear of heights.  She quicky regretted her decision not to take to the tree tops with us and is now champing at the bit to Go Ape too. 

I loved the zip lines. Great fun and not scary at all.  I hated the wobbly bridges.  They made my knees shake like jelly.  My husband absolutely loved every last second.  He's not stopped taking about our visit since and has been admiring his completion certificate as if it were an Olympic medal!  I have a feeling it won't be long before we're back. 

Glentress is also a great place to go mountain biking if climbing high into the trees isn't your thing.  We saw loads of bikes going hell for leather around the woodland trails as we watched them from high overhead. 

I'd thoroughly recomment a visit to Go Ape for anyone with a moderate level of fitness and sense of adventure. It's great fun.  It's under an hour from Edinburgh and easy to reach by car. It's also a great way to tire out children & teens.  There are also centres at Aberfoyle and Aberdeenshire if Peebles is too far away. 

Has anyone else enjoyed any hair raising outdoor adventures in Scotland that they'd like to share/recommend? 

Below are a couple of shots of me hanging on for dear life and gracelessly floundering in a cargo net! 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    WOW!! Well done for plucking up the courage!   :)  I went to Go Ape for the first time around nine years ago and was absolutely terrified, so kept my eyes closed as I zipped over the waterfall in the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.  Disappointed that I was such a wimp and missed the waterfall (although I did hear it beneath me), I returned a few years later and this time managed to keep my eyes open and I'm so glad I did!!  I was still terrified but it was soooo much fun!! :)  

Here at the bottom of Loch Lomond we have Treezone aerial adventure course which offers two different obstacle courses, so if you would like to keep your feet a little closer to the ground the lower level course is perfect but just as much fun!!  There's also a Treezone in Aviemore!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun - the lower level especially.  :D @VisitScotlandAngela
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭

• SoniaVRSoniaVR Member ✭✭
    We organised my friend's hen do there and it was really good fun! It was raining all morning, which didn't put us off but made it even more adventurous. We had a ball jumping around, climbing and zipping. I was in pain the following day but I will definitely go back!
  • VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Well done @samantha_grant! Great snaps!

I recently tried the Foxfall water course at Foxlake by Dunbar in East Lothian - it was a complete hoot! First time round the course was completely nerve-wracking, but once I'd done it I couldn't wait to get round the course again. It's a fantastic experience, similar to a treetop course, but with no harness - instead, you get a life jacket and helmet, and should you fall, you plunge into the water below! I can't wait to do it again.

For my next adventure, I'm finding inspiration in the Adrenline Junkies Guide to Scotland - canyoning looks like it could offer a few thrills!  :p