Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Highland Coos - share your best pics!

VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Highland Cows are a Scottish cattle breed with long horns and shaggy hair.  Spotting one while in Scotland really is a must-do for young and old so let's share where we've spotted the super cute and funny ones.

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭

I took this photo on a cold, wet weekend on Mull back in March. I loved the pop of warm colour these big guys gave to the rainy scene. 
    This one is the Pentlands Hills on the outskirts of Edinburgh.  I always get excited when I spot them there when out hiking.  
    The coos below were snapped on the Isle of Islay at Mull of Oa.  It was hooching with them. 
    They're such beautiful big beasties. I always reach for my camera when I spot them on my travels. 

The Newton Hotel in Nairn has 2 pet coos.  I always make a beeline for them when we stay there.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    A herd of coos spotted at Pollok Country Park!

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandHeather  Morag looks right at home there. I wonder what the coos make of her.
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited November 2016
    For those of you who love Highland Coos we recently went to meet some live on Facebook:

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Such adorable pictures in this thread, thanks all for sharing. This coo we captured (in a pic) is possibly one of the most famous cows of the country serving the tourists of Callander just by being cute :smile:

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    Horizons  He is a cutie  <3 Another great reason to visit Callander!
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandHeather - that was such a great day for a photo shoot, so hot! Oh and we had baby coos!!!! 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    There are also coos at Cardhu distillery near Archiestown, Moray. They a really friendly.

And last year we found some black baby coos at Inveraray Castle. So cute! They look like they opted for an ombre hairstyle :) 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    While visiting Stirling last year I was trying to take a photo with highland cows. Three times I stopped at this point and every single time the highland cows were on the other site of the field. So when I almost gave up and started heading to the car, this lad comes out from nowhere and stands proudly in the water. 

Can you see his chicky smile? 

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
    edited February 1
    ScotlandTraveloholic love it! Combining a coo and a castle, surely the ultimate Scottish pic!  :D 
  • SuYLSuYL Member ✭✭
    Dufftown, near Balvenie Castle
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    There's an artist in Stonehaven who does pictures of coos - http://hairycoos.co.uk 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • cdrackcdrack Member ✭✭
    I took this photo this week on my way to Aberfoyle in the Trossachs
    @cdrack  love the black coos! Usually people just think of the ginger ones  :) 
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    Hi Everyone - does anyone know of a herd of highland coos in Aberdeenshire? I am often asked where overseas family and friends visiting can see these, but now that my favourites at The Store Farm Shop and Cafe have become lunch, I am unsure where to find them?
    Any tips?
    Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
    MogMJMR

We've shared this beautiful Highland Coo from Sandend in Aberdeenshire.

Or, if you like coos and cars, this place at Peterhead has both  :)

And of course, during on the agricultural shows like Turriff Show (30-31 July), there will be plenty of coos about:

• KatKat Member ✭✭
    MogMJMR said:
    Hi Everyone - does anyone know of a herd of highland coos in Aberdeenshire? I am often asked where overseas family and friends visiting can see these, but now that my favourites at The Store Farm Shop and Cafe have become lunch, I am unsure where to find them?
    Any tips?
    I've come across a few out just past Monymusk.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    My pic is a bit old now, but I still really like it. I snapped this coo whilst cycling along the shores of Loch Lubnaig following cycle route 7. It was a crisp February weekend, and the coo seemed more than happy to pose for a photo.  <3

• PoppyCPoppyC Member
    My neighbour keeps and shows highland coos, here are a couple I took of them last summer, including the peedie calf they had at the time!  We're in rural south Aberdeenshire.
  • FraserMFraserM Member ✭✭

This coo near Spean Bridge had a wee mud pack on last week!
    ^ Picture doesn't seem to have loaded.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @PoppyC that might be the first time I've ever actually seen a coos eye! What a great shot :)
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭
    I can`t remember where this was taken but it was a few years ago.
  • KrystleKrystle Member ✭✭
    Wow, Guys, I am going to say that shared images by the members of HIGHLAND COOS  are really nice. I really liked these images  and will like to try out something like this  by own in my next free time. 
    The big Mum and Dad coos might be easy to find but if you've never spotted a baby one, this video filmed on Orbost Farm, Skye explains why: 

• SFE_111SFE_111 Member
    We breed Highland Cows on our Farm on the outskirts of Edinburgh - we currently have 15 that live wild on our hill above the farm at the base of the Pentland Hills.  There are walking routes over the hill so you might spot them, however there's no guarantee that you will; especially on hot days when they tend to trek all the way up to the tops of Caerketton Hill and Allermuir Hill where it's cooler!  Usual rules apply about walking near livestock, for example do not approach or try to touch or stroke them (they are wild!) and keep dogs on the lead when near them, however sometimes lucky walkers get close enough to get some nice photographs.  Even if you don't spot them, you'll get amazing views of Edinburgh and beyond from up there.  Our website is: http://swanston.co.uk/ for more information about the farm and what else you can do and see here.  Any questions, do let us know!
  • Caranderson1Caranderson1 Member ✭✭
    Came across these beauties north of Oban 
    @Caranderson1 great pic! Were these cuties just by the side of the road?
  • Caranderson1Caranderson1 Member ✭✭
    No Heather - it was up a track - I was exploring a new area for me looking for Beautiful Demoiselle damselflies - which I found!  The coos were an added bonus!  This is a brilliant community BTW thanks for letting me join x